Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MESU 200 Help with SiTech Control

Xsubmariner

Hi,

New to SiTech controllers, I have just installed and commissioned my Mesu E200 Mount. Now that I have my system working with a bare bones default configuration setting, please can someone advise the best sequence to follow to refine the mounts performance for imagery. 

For example;

Is there a good tutorial for setting the mounts environmental parameters? Eg mount limits, horizon, meridian flip settings.

Is it worth setting PEC, T Point ect.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi,

New to SiTech controllers, I have just installed and commissioned my Mesu E200 Mount. Now that I have my system working with a bare bones default configuration setting, please can someone advise the best sequence to follow to refine the mounts performance for imagery. 

For example;

Is there a good tutorial for setting the mounts environmental parameters? Eg mount limits, horizon, meridian flip settings.

Is it worth setting PEC, T Point ect.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As the Mesu is a friction drive there is negligible PEC so not worth bothering with. I have built a sky model using Sitech and it helps with accuracy over the whole sky. The model should be renewed when the installation is changed (anything that needs rebalancing the mount). As I think you have seen the mount can do great GoTo`s after one Offset Init. A few Mesu users have mentioned on here that they just do a blind plate solve, Offset Init, then GoTo to there target for the evening. I admit that is the way I run the mount now and I have no complaints about the accuracy. If you are happy with the GoTo`s and the Guiding, just get out there every time you can and enjoy the great mount you own

Graham

Tomato,

A lot of very useful information in the link thanks.  

Fellside & Jonk, 

I have been and intend to continue using SGP.  Did wonder if the sky model was worth pursuing but definitely fall on the side of preferring to image given the limited number of clear skies we get here.

Have existing users experience a preference for Image update rate when guiding using PHD2.

6 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Have existing users experience a preference for Image update rate when guiding using PHD2.

I use a 3 second exposure in PHD2 with my Mesu 200.

Enjoy the mount, it is simply the best! You will find that guiding performance is mainly down to atmospheric quality - the clearer the seeing, the better the guiding. It has been pants for months now...!

With regards to a sky model - I tried and found no improvement in performance for imaging. I now just slew to my target, plate solve and get on target. Visual use would be different and a Sky model would lead to very accurate slews, but for imaging it just isn’t required. I heard that a Sky model would improve guiding accuracy, but my experiments didn’t appear to confirm that. I am interested to hear if any Mesu users think it does help.

I agree with everything Gav said above.

I found PEC training and T point a waste of time - there was no discernible improvement.

Fire it up, slew to target, plate solve, image.

I wouldn't get obsessed with PHD2 settings and equipment - I have guided with all sorts from a  converted finderscope to a SW Evostar 72 and irrespective of equipment or settings (within reason!) it churns away at about 0.4" total RMS - worse in poor seeing but increasing the exp to 10 seconds helps as long as your PA is spot on.

Cracking piece of kit - mine is the earlier model but I would expect the latest to be even better!

• Like 1

Since moving to the dual rig, I have been getting better guiding with an OAG rather than a separate guide scope, but I’m sure that is down to the humongous amount of hardware now riding on the Mesu. It had it easy for too long.😊

• Like 1