SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The real problem is time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I just imagine there is a dog and dogs dont exist then I can walk the brown stuff on my shoe after a night observing over the wifes best carpet cos the smelly stuff cant exist either.

Dave your logic has a potentialy FATAL flaw.

PS no its not mud I have an all hard minimal care garden and I know that smell anywharer!!!

I though Mr Einstein with his relativity stuff had demonstrated that there is no absolute space or absolute time, but there is spacetime. From one individual to another, perceptions of time can vary, especially when moving through space. In this respect, time is a personal thing.

I don´t agree that time doesn´t exist, for me it is possible that time is a concept created within the human mind and that the watches marking this passage fit in with how we perceive time.

In trying to relate the concept of time to a physical quantifiable unit perhaps the two are incomparable. The mind already has trouble distinguishing some things, the gamblers fallacy as an example whereby people believe that on a coin toss after 4 heads in a row a tail would be more likely.

Another point is how different people see the passage of time, a childs time frame moves quicker than an adults. When you are enjoying something it appears to go quicker etc.

I suspect that like the Book analogy above, when time is eventually pinned down it may be a hard concept for the human mind to grasp. People like to know what it was like "before" the big bang when the state of before in relation to the big bang is incorrect.

Ahhh hell I am lost...someone wake me up and explain it once it is all sorted.

NC

Time is definitely a means of chronologically recording events and we needed a way to describe things, so I'm fairly happy with the concept of earth time :(

but doesn't time happen faster in space? that's fairly freaky if you ask me.... maybe thats why the universe is expanding faster because time at the edge of the universe is happening from normal to infinitely fast the closer you get to the edge.

or could light and time be interacting with each other as theres less crud for light to avoide in space? Is that why I move a lot slower when its really dark?

• 1 month later...

Perhaps our difficulties with the concept of time is symptomatic of the limitations of language. Can a system of communication based on agreed definitions ever express the unboundededness of the universe?

To be quite honest what I feel sorry for in space/time is those poor little particles blasted out at near the speed of light from supernovas and even bigger bangs.

So here is this little particle flying along near the speed of light, going so fast that in its frame of reference it crosses half the universe in hardly the time it takes to go wheeeeeeee ... and then it bangs into a blumming great particle detector in South America which says - 1.

Half way across the universe at near the speed of light for that - what a waste! :rolleyes:

;)

Archived