Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 Hours on the M33

DaveS

No, not the journey from hell, but my latest attempt at imaging M33, the Triangulum Spiral

This is 2 hours each in H-alpha, L, R, G, B. The Hydrogen in 10 min bubs, the LRGB in 5 min subs. 130 f/7 TS triplet, APM-Riccardi reducer ASI1600 in Max DR setting capture with Maxim DL  Stacking and Processing in AstroArt 7 with calibrated Flats, and Darks. Ha added to the Red stack, then RGB synthesis followed by DDP. Luminance given DDP and Maximum Entropy Deconvolution. LRGB synthesis followed by a light Histogram Stretch and a slight Saturation Boost. Phew!

173015161_10HourHaLRGB.thumb.jpg.53ffd67270473a49ce6697bc6a2a158b.jpg

Slight cropping to get rid of a few alignment edges.

C&C welcome, as usual.

• Like 22

Thanks Steve, I'll have another look at the FITS. I did pull the black down a bit as I thought there was a bright halo around M33 that was a precessing artifact that I should get rid of, I may have pulled it down too far.

5 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks Steve, I'll have another look at the FITS. I did pull the black down a bit as I thought there was a bright halo around M33 that was a precessing artifact that I should get rid of, I may have pulled it down too far.

I have a load of data on M33 from last year and I tried several attempts at processing it and the last one I made a right mess of the stars and never noticed till I posted it .

I find it is easy to loose sight of the whole image while trying to pull out or contain a certain portion of the image.

I must go back and do something with it.

I had another go at processing, taking it right back to the original stacks and trying to avoid clipping the Black Point. I also flipped it into a more conventional orientation. I'm not sure this isn't worse as I'm now seeing a bright ellipse around the galaxy that looks to be an artifact of stretching. I had to apply a touch of LPF to the final image as it was getting a bit noisy in the outer arms

2062395227_Second10hrHLRGB.thumb.jpg.ffbf962beb35f819064722473fc3e45b.jpg

• Like 5