Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Mick the Lob

New boy in the skies

Just got my first scope had a couple of casual looks around the sky this going to be a bit of a learning curve. Would like to get into Astro photography eventually. 

The ccd cameras are hugely expensive so would be going DSLR route. From what I can gather  I would also need a tracker other than the Audiostar system that’s currently part of my setup any suggestions as to which one would be helpful. 

Only ever used a DSLR on a normal tripod up to now with normal lenses. Here are few  that I have taken in the past. Would like get some moon shots, galaxy shots in fact anything st all really. 

C5A3172C-15A4-4D9D-8212-AC26CF57EC12.jpeg

768CD088-C596-4B7C-9F9C-8AFABA50F9EA.jpeg

ADE83226-9986-488A-B8D4-7BDBAD2429B4.jpeg

2758CF19-8249-46AC-98DC-C6A39662E3A0.jpeg

F33AA67D-051B-436D-B4C7-2D80233E40E3.jpeg

88BA6631-BEB5-4FC1-AF88-5B9E685D5BC9.jpeg

• Like 13

Hello Mick, welcome to the lounge, nice images.

Rick 

Edited by JRM

Some cracking images there Grommet (sorry, I mean Mick!).

What you will need for astrophotgraphys is a driven equatorial mount which will track the movements of the targets accross the sky as well as keeping the orientation of your telescope consistant with the target.

I don't know wheter your mount is an EQ (equatorial) or ALT/AZ (Altitude and Azimuth). The issue with ALT/AZ is that the telescope and therefore the camera stays on the same plane in exactly the same was as panning and tilting on a camera tripod. The movement of the styars accross the sky follws an arc so the telesope needs to move from east to west and also 'twist' so that the target remeains orientated the same way for the whole capture period.

A basic EQ mount would be a EQ3/2 like this which can be motorised-https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html

Other optios are available with bigger capacity and slicker drives such as the HEQ5- https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

many options exist either side of the HEQ5 price point.

For straight DSLR astrophotography there are mounts like this that fix to your tripod- https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi Mick, welcome to SGL. Judging by those images you are off to a great start with Astro photography.

Welcome. Great images. Have lots of fun. 🙂

Hi Mick, a warm welcome from me way down south, some great images you have there, I love the Milky Way one with the Moon rising - brilliant.  Clear skies!

Excellent photos! I'm a visual astronomer but admire all the astropics, the processes behind it are amazing. You'll be able to get some really good advice here on SGL. 

Edited by Ships and Stars

Hi Mick, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. Fabulous images btw 🙂

Steve

Thank you chaps and chapesses think I will buy a wedge as my mount is Alt/Az l have eq mount that is motorised but have not got round to using it all's I will need is a dovetail to mount my camera on, with the static star trail stuff will I still need to take lots of say 30 second images and use star stacker to process the images. I will be limited to f5 with 440 mm of reach iso 1600 or 800 full frame. Think this should do assuming I manage to set up the mount correctly seems like a lot of messing around as far as I can see but the only way to keep things in registration. Could still use the lx90 as is for shorter exposures. Just got to learn to walk before i run.

20200121_164820.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mick welcome. Judging by those pix I'll be asking you for advice. 

Mick

Welcome from Land Down Under

Agree with all previous comments, great pics

Moon rising, you have caught it at the right moment

John

Hi Mick, welcome to SGL :smile:

Hi Mick, welcome to the community,  great images, see you around the forums.

Clear Skies.

Hi Mick, welcome to SGL and thanks for sharing the beautiful images!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Varavall
      I am selling my Meade LX90 8" EMC with many accessories due to equipment upgrade, so this lovely scope needs a new home. All in excellent condition; no rust, battery boxes spotless, all motors function perfectly, holds collimation extremely well (only had to collimate once in the past 2 years), when well polar aligned I have achieved 3 minute unguided DSLR exposures.
      What's included:
      Meade LX90 8" EMC (in original Meade foam-filled shipping box)
      Meade 8x50 finderscope
      Meade standard field tripod

Meade equatorial wedge (replacement bolts to hold telescope and adjust azimuth)
      Meade AUDIOSTAR handset (under 2 years old) in original box (Provides much more functionality than the original Autostar)
      Meade UHTC flip-mirror system for photography
      Meade 1.25" eyepieces: 40mm 32mm 26mm 15mm 12.4mm 6.4mm
      Meade 1.25" telenegative amplifier air spaced triplet barlow
      Meade series 4000 1.25" filters x5
      Meade erecting prism and a 90° eyepiece holder
      Celestron 2" Mirror diagonal Starbright XLT with 1.25" adapter in original aluminium case
      Meade #505 cable connector set to connect PC to handset to control mount and update firmware
      Meade ST-4 module for connecting a guide camera to the mount
      Meade handset holder
      Meade front counterweight
      Jessops flight case to hold eyepieces, etc.
      PRICE: SOLD
      Please ask for more photos/information. Price includes shipping to Western Europe. Paypal preferred.

SOLD
    • By Pankaj
      Hi. Its been 12 days of lockdown here in New Delhi, India. Gave me some quality time to spend on my childhood hobby. After a long time, I pointed my 10" Dob towards the Moon. And surely it does not disappoint. Its always a pleasure observing its surface. Observing it through eyepiece was a hair raising experience as I moved from 25mm (48x) to 6mm with a 2x Barlow (400x). Later I connected my dslr to the scope and took some quick pictures attached below.
      Also took a video. Here's a link to my google drive. Please excuse me for the background noise that is there in the video.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XzKDibKV_krsYeOaQGgCwuPfFCxaJu55

MOON SURFACE - Ultra Close up.mp4
    • By Toxophilus
      Due to a telescope upgrade I now have available my LX90 and a lot of accessories to go with it. The OTA itself has been upgraded and improved a lot it has had the following upgrades:
          Thrust bearing upgrade to smooth focusing
          Screws replaced with stainless
          Bob Knobs collimation knobs
          Flocked tube to improve image contrast
      The scope comes with all the standard accessories: 

Meade 8x50 Finder Scope
          Meade 26mm super plössl eyepiece
          Meade 1.25" eyepieve connector
          Meade #918A 1.25" Diagonal Prism
          Meade Autostar hand controller and external control and update cables
          Meade field tripod
          and manuals
      Plus having used it for imaging and having de-forked the OTA to use it on a German Equatorial Mount it also comes with the following extras to allow a variety of options for both visual and imaging options:
          ADM Counterweight and accessory rail for 8" SCT
          ADM Losmandy Dovetail for 8" SCT
          Star Sharp Bhatinov Mask
          DewZap Dew Shield
          JMI Electronic focus controller for Meade LX90
          Celeston f6.3 focal reducer
          Astro Engineering hand controller holder
          Meade variable projection tele-extender
          Astro Engineering Align Mate
          Meade 07567 f3.3 focal reducer and variable T-Adaptor
          1.25" Clear Sky CCD Filter
          1.25" Light Polution Filter
          1.25" OIII filter
          Power supply for Meade LX90
          Meade equatorial wedge with adaptor for the LX90
      The scope has now been put back onto its forks and tested. If you want to see detailed photographs of everything then please have a look at: 
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gp5a1yf-3ypq_lzYzvVGi9l_ug03mNZb
      there is even a short video showing the mount working there. As for the capabilities of the scope you can see a few examples of images taken with this scope at:
          https://www.astrobin.com/293004
          https://www.astrobin.com/332967
          https://www.astrobin.com/352788
          https://www.astrobin.com/288931
          https://www.astrobin.com/289586
      there are even more on my astrobin page:                 
          https://www.astrobin.com/users/toxophilus
      Unfortunately due to the size and weight of the scope, the amount of kit I'm selling and lack of boxes, I can only do collection only.
      I'm looking for offers around £1000 for everything. But I'm willing to consider splitting if you don't want it all, just let me know what you are interested in and we can work out a price. For just the scope and standard accessories, I'm looking for offers in the region of £700, so for just £300 extra you are getting a lot of options. A quick add up of what this has all cost me new comes out at around £2500.
      I can accept payment via bank transfer, cash or pay-pal (buyer covers fees)
      If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

• By MarcusAntonio
      Hi All...
      I am wondering if anyone can help me?
      Just starting out imaging with a Meade LX90ACF 8". Whilst I am not new to this, I've changed my game from CCD to DSLR and am on the learning curve again! I am getting a strange reflection when I image anything bright, ie a star. Please can you have a look at the image and see if you have any tips to not get this crazy blue swirl... whilst it is pretty, it is clearly not anything in the sky and will always be on the image somewhere.
      Lunar or planetary.. not a problem... just the bright stuff (whether a short or long exposure). I've tried a canon 350d and 1300d.. both the same! I am still playing with my alt/dec % so am still getting a little star trail on this 3 min exposure, not worried about that!

• By B77
      Hi all, looking for a Meade 497 Autostar or Audiostar handbox/controller for an LX90, with or without cable. NOT Autostar 2.
      Must be willing to send to France, payment by bank transfer only no Paypal.

Thanks

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.