Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heritage 130p beginner questions

Hi, 

New guy here :D

Just got my heritage 130p and already have some doubts:

1 - The focuser holds the eyepieces with screws, does this not lead to damage?

2 - The knob/screw that holds the tube rail in place, where should it be placed? I mean how high does the tube is from the base plate when store vertically? I can see that the original spot led to a "marking" on the rail, a spot where the paint was scratched.

3 - There are 6 screws on the bottom, collimation for the main mirror, of these the ones with small heads are loose with one being very very loose, do I need to do anything?

Thank you for reading.

1- not significantly. Nothing you need to worry about.  Most lower priced telescope holders are like this.

2- Not entirely sure what you mean, but clamp it in the position that best balances the tube when placed horizontally.

3- Leave them alone till a) you think it needs collimating and b) you have read up on how to do collimation. If the telescope seems to be working well (stars look sharp) leave well alone.

Thank you for yours answers Cosmic Geoff.

I always feel a bit of anxiety when instructions are "tighten the screws but just enough", subjectivity is admittedly my bane and unfortunately the whole scope seems to operate on this principle.

I got a cheshire along with the scope and it seems to me that it is a bit out of collimation, all I did was put the cheshire where the objective goes and look through it. It seemed off but I will not touch it until I actually try it out first.

Doing 130x on a brick wall across the street seemed to produce a good image but of course today is a perfectly cloudy night or at least looking like it so far.

I wouldn't mess with collamation new people may not even know how to properly do it.

As far as how high the tube should be I think all the way up, if it's not it wont be 650mm focal length tube but but less if ots not up all the way 

Joejaguar 

On 20/01/2020 at 23:05, joe aguiar said:

As far as how high the tube should be I think all the way up, if it's not it wont be 650mm focal length tube but but less if ots not up all the way 

I was referring to how high from the base the whole ota (is ota the name?) should hang. It came all the way lowered for transport hence my question :)

I will def wait until I know a bit more the scope before attempting any collimation. Waiting to actually be able to look at the moon to decide how sharp the images are.