Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Asi2600mc First light

Allinthehead

Hi all. New camera arrived on Friday morning and would you believe it the forecast was clear for Friday and Saturday night. 

Camera is an Aps-c 26mp 16 bit. It has an internal dew heater with 3 settings high/medium/low and so far so good i cooled to -10 without any sign of dew or frost on the sensor and it was very humid here over the weekend.

I managed to gather 136 frames over the two nights at 240 seconds a frame. I used a gain of 0.

Esprit 100 mounted on an AzEq6

I'm struggling with calibration in APP at the moment so no flats/darks/bias. My darks seem to adding a blue cast to the image. Not the cameras fault as i had the same issue recently with my 071.

Richard.

FinalSat.thumb.jpg.6c414570eb63f65ada1c011abd9c34b1.jpg

518902084_FinalSatcopy.thumb.jpg.14994369cbb9c617668e7b5165437ee3.jpg

• Like 40

Amazing result !!! could you please let me know your Bortle scale ???

i am struggling to find a color camera that can actually give me some results in Bortle 8-9 scale where i live.

DId you use any filters in front ?

Thank you,

Nikolas.

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Excellent,

Carole 

Thanks Carole 

2 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

Amazing result !!! could you please let me know your Bortle scale ???

i am struggling to find a color camera that can actually give me some results in Bortle 8-9 scale where i live.

DId you use any filters in front ?

Thank you,

Nikolas.

Thanks Nikolas. This is roughly bortle 4/5.

At 8/9 you may be better served with a mono camera.

I used an ir filter.

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

This is such a popular target and you see a lot of images of it that it is hard to get an image that stands out but you certainly have achieved that.

An outstanding image 🙂 

Steve

Thanks very much Steve.

54 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Absolutely stunning.  Love the colours.

Thanks. Glad you like it.

• Thanks 1

Mmmm that's lovely Richard. Great control of the stars, and just look at all that dust! Glad the new camera is working well for you. Those Esprit stars really are something. I can hardly look at my 80ED ones the more I look at images like these, lol.

Quick question for you - do you still use your IDAS filter much? I think our skies are very similar. I still use my IDAS-D1, but am curious if you have stopped using yours, and if so, did you see any improvement?

ps - Could the colour maybe do with a very slight blur in the dimmer areas?

6 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Camera looking like a keeper, brilliant image.

Thanks Simmo. It's certainly looking promising

5 hours ago, Xiga said:

Mmmm that's lovely Richard. Great control of the stars, and just look at all that dust! Glad the new camera is working well for you. Those Esprit stars really are something. I can hardly look at my 80ED ones the more I look at images like these, lol.

Quick question for you - do you still use your IDAS filter much? I think our skies are very similar. I still use my IDAS-D1, but am curious if you have stopped using yours, and if so, did you see any improvement?

ps - Could the colour maybe do with a very slight blur in the dimmer areas?

Thanks Ciarán. The Esprit is a wonderful scope.

I only use the filter when i image in one direction where there's a street lamp. No need everywhere else and colour balance is better without.

You're probably right about the blur but as i've yet to sort the calibration files i will be revisiting. I just noticed that i applied sharpening to the whole image accidently🤣

@Allinthehead those are stunning. I have the same scope and I'm using a modded DSLR but have been thinking of getting a dedicated astro camera and was looking at the ASI294MC pro after seeing other peoples results on here. Looking at those with little processing I now think it may be worth spending the extra money on one of these cameras.

Fantastic images Richard. A lot of dust and nebulosity. 

Do you think this camera would do well with my skies? Bortle 5, 19.57 mag. I'd be pairing it with my Z73 refractor (f5.9, 430mm).

22 hours ago, Dinglem said:

@Allinthehead those are stunning. I have the same scope and I'm using a modded DSLR but have been thinking of getting a dedicated astro camera and was looking at the ASI294MC pro after seeing other peoples results on here. Looking at those with little processing I now think it may be worth spending the extra money on one of these cameras.

Thanks. I think you would be better off with the 071 or this over the 294. The 294 has horrible amp glow and there can be issues with calibration. Beware that the 071 has frosting issues too so the qhy version would be the one to go for between the two.

21 hours ago, smr said:

Fantastic images Richard. A lot of dust and nebulosity. 

Do you think this camera would do well with my skies? Bortle 5, 19.57 mag. I'd be pairing it with my Z73 refractor (f5.9, 430mm).

Thank you very much. Definitely would suit your sky, mine is bortle 4/5, should pair nicely that focal length too.

14 hours ago, Michael Hogan said:

I have to get this CCD im thinking is it worth selling my ASI294mc Pro even if its only six months old ill only get around 850 Euro for it

As far as i know they're short of supply which could be a good thing as issues could well be found later. I got one of the first batch and took a risk buying it.

11 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

Incredible image and lovely colours, well done 

Thanks Adam, glad you like it.

9 hours ago, astro mick said:

Totally agree Richard.Exerllent work.

Mick.

Thanks Mick. :thumbright:

4 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

loving the dust - really get the feeling that it's hanging around in front of the main nebula, giving it a 3d feel.  I'd say your new camera works 🙂

Thanks Mick. I'd say you're right.

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Georgeous, that is the nicest rendition of the dust around the running man that I have seen

Thanks Martin, that was actually my favorite part of the image.