Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ships and Stars

Binoviewing the Horsehead and Flame Nebula

36 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I'll have to ask the fellow in Croatia who supercharges BVs

He is the one who says the Binotrons are less than 27mm and also that they are strongly polarized- not so in either case. Not that all this matter much- have you tested your binos for polarization?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

He is the one who says the Binotrons are less than 27mm and also that they are strongly polarized- not so in either case. Not that all this matter much- have you tested your binos for polarization?

No I sure haven't, how do you check that? I'm familiar with screw-on rotating polarizing filters for camera lenses, but not anything astro-related. Can you simply look into the binoviewer body and see if the mirrors have a certain type of coating? Another facet I wasn't aware of! Haha.

Edit - I do note my right side EP is often darker than the left, but rotating the ep holder on that side seems to alter that. Perhaps that's a clue one side is polarized? 

Edited by Ships and Stars
clarify

1 minute ago, Ships and Stars said:

No I sure haven't, how do you check that? I'm familiar with screw-on rotating polarizing filters for camera lenses, but not anything astro-related. Can you simply look into the binoviewer body and see if the mirrors have a certain type of coating? Another facet I wasn't aware of! Haha.

Try looking at an LED computer screen which is polarized light- I use a white screen, and look through each barrel for brightness differences. Denis in Croatia is critical of polarized prisms, which can effect image brightness on the moon etc.  Honestly I think it is no big deal unless very severe. You can test your screen with a polarizer filter, I use a Baader single polarizer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Try looking at an LED computer screen which is polarized light- I use a white screen, and look through each barrel for brightness differences. Denis in Croatia is critical of polarized prisms, which can effect image brightness on the moon etc.  Honestly I think it is no big deal unless very severe. You can test your screen with a polarizer filter, I use a Baader single polarizer.

Thanks Gerry! I'll check it out just out of curiosity, I know the BVs are capable for most objects. Might have a few partial clear nights coming up, but mostly cloudy. Tuesday night looking potentially ok!

On 21/01/2020 at 23:15, geoflewis said:

Just found this thread, what a cracking read - all of it, but especially the OP by @Ships and Stars

+1 for that, a real "log burner/fireside" read..(even though I was actually on the loo at the time!)😱😁😁.

Seriously, thanks for the time and detail in that report 👍.

Dave

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

+1 for that, a real "log burner/fireside" read..(even though I was actually on the loo at the time!)

must have been quite some log.....😣

• Haha 2

Thanks for the post, a great read.  It did me a world of good as down here we are still suffering the aftermath of Storm Dennis, high winds and heavy rain as I write this.  Thanks you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a fascinating thread. I am feeling inspired. I haven't so far had the chance to look through a large dob, and can't quite imagine seeing the HH neb with my own eyes. Looking forward to more reports...

• Thanks 1