Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoviewing the Horsehead and Flame Nebula

Ships and Stars

36 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I'll have to ask the fellow in Croatia who supercharges BVs

He is the one who says the Binotrons are less than 27mm and also that they are strongly polarized- not so in either case. Not that all this matter much- have you tested your binos for polarization?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

He is the one who says the Binotrons are less than 27mm and also that they are strongly polarized- not so in either case. Not that all this matter much- have you tested your binos for polarization?

No I sure haven't, how do you check that? I'm familiar with screw-on rotating polarizing filters for camera lenses, but not anything astro-related. Can you simply look into the binoviewer body and see if the mirrors have a certain type of coating? Another facet I wasn't aware of! Haha.

Edit - I do note my right side EP is often darker than the left, but rotating the ep holder on that side seems to alter that. Perhaps that's a clue one side is polarized? 

Edited by Ships and Stars
clarify

1 minute ago, Ships and Stars said:

No I sure haven't, how do you check that? I'm familiar with screw-on rotating polarizing filters for camera lenses, but not anything astro-related. Can you simply look into the binoviewer body and see if the mirrors have a certain type of coating? Another facet I wasn't aware of! Haha.

Try looking at an LED computer screen which is polarized light- I use a white screen, and look through each barrel for brightness differences. Denis in Croatia is critical of polarized prisms, which can effect image brightness on the moon etc.  Honestly I think it is no big deal unless very severe. You can test your screen with a polarizer filter, I use a Baader single polarizer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Try looking at an LED computer screen which is polarized light- I use a white screen, and look through each barrel for brightness differences. Denis in Croatia is critical of polarized prisms, which can effect image brightness on the moon etc.  Honestly I think it is no big deal unless very severe. You can test your screen with a polarizer filter, I use a Baader single polarizer.

Thanks Gerry! I'll check it out just out of curiosity, I know the BVs are capable for most objects. Might have a few partial clear nights coming up, but mostly cloudy. Tuesday night looking potentially ok!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 23:15, geoflewis said:

Just found this thread, what a cracking read - all of it, but especially the OP by @Ships and Stars

+1 for that, a real "log burner/fireside" read..(even though I was actually on the loo at the time!)😱😁😁.

Seriously, thanks for the time and detail in that report 👍.

Dave

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...