Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar alignment issue

Hi,

I’m a bit of a newbie, I’m afraid, and I'm struggling to get my polar alignment right, despite watching a load of you tibe videos etc..

The process I follow is :

1) Get the HA from either the PS Align App or from my synscan handset

2) Line the polar scope up so that polaris is right at the bottom of the reticule

3) Set the RA ring to zero

4) Rotate RA using the northern hemisphere calibrations to the HA.

I have used the PS Align app to get my HA – it reports, say 8:22.2, which is the same as my synscan handset reports.

However, the reticule display on the app, shows Polaris at just below the nine oclock position (assuming a 12 hour clock face; see image:). If, however, I use the HA of 8:22.2 on my EQ mount, the position of polaris is nowhere near that as represented on the app.

I have started with Polaris at the zero position (straight down the the reticule) and am definitely using the Norther hemisphere HA ring on the mount. It's definatley not just inverted - I've tried that!!

Any advice appreciated?

Screenshot 2020-01-19 at 14.29.37.png

IMG_4857.jpg

I agree with the above. If it is just visual the use a compass to get magnetic north (being careful that the magnets on the motors do not cause even more deviation) and use an inclinometer to set latitude. You will be within one degree. Good enough for visual.

The App has a night mode, but the advert is not switched to red! On my iPhone I set the colour filters on and accessibility shortcut to Colour Filters. Three clicks and the screen switches between colour and red. The intensity and spring properties of the advert are eliminated. Similarly, in an App like Sky Safari, the menus are not switched to red and any switch to another App will be in colour - until the “three clicks” which affects all parts of any App.