Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik Infinity vs ASI294 non-cooled with live software ?

I've tried to make the title of my question thread here as specific as possible, (hopefully ! 🤓)

I've been intrigued by YouTube videos of the Atik Infinity live video cam and software.

The users seem really pleased with the functionality and ease of use, (especially for beginners), but I'm mindful of it now being a few years old, and how fast the technology gets outdated and hardware increases rapidly in spec with the same or even reducing prices.

I already possess a ZWO asi294 non-pro (uncooled) colour camera with a much higher resolution and physical chip size and USB 3 connection.

I've tinkered with it in Sharpcap and I can get a lot of the Infinity functionality in live-view, (exposure, gain etc).

I think I'm right though, in saying that the Infinity hardware/software has some other attractive functions, like recording the whole session for later replay and further adjustment of the night's viewing, even to the extent that the recorded material can be later processed by other stacking software.

For instance, I liked the ability to stack frames in real-time, and see the background noise diminish on the pseudo stills.

I realise that the res and chip size of the Infinity isn't a patch on my asi294, and that both are non-cooled so I still wouldn't be in the premier league of DSO imaging with mono, RGB filters, and set point cooling, but I'm wondering if the ability to sometimes sit comfortably at my HD monitor and see objects too dim to see by eye, but still in real time is worth giving one a go ?

Or.....   is there any other non-hardware specific software that gives the Infinity's live view stacking with newer, faster and higher res cooled cameras ?

After further scouring around the Internet, I'm going to try to answer my own question, 🤓

The main attraction of the Infinity software to me was the ability to stack frames in live view, as I'm still a newcomer to DSO photography.

The ability to actually see dim ones gradually appear on the computer screen during the actual viewing session would be great for finding them and gaining experience, (so I believe)...

I now find that the newer releases of Sharpcap also enable live stacking, with almost any make of camera, including my ASI294 colour.  I know it's not cooled, but it has a very high resolution and large chip size, and is supposed to be not bad for noise.

I'm pretty sure the other main feature I cannot recreate outside of the Infinity software is the whole session recording option, for later replay, and subsequent further stacking attempts, due to the video storage format being accessible to stacking software, frame by frame full res.

Again, if any of my deductions are in error, please feel free to shoot me down in flames, all comments gratefully received....

3 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

I'm pretty sure the other main feature I cannot recreate outside of the Infinity software is the whole session recording option, for later replay, and subsequent further stacking attempts, due to the video storage format being accessible to stacking software, frame by frame full res.

SharpCap has the option to save all the frames you're live stacking if you want. That way you can take them away and work on them later if you wish. 

https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/features/live-stacking

Worth a read to get a feel for the full live stack feature set but down near the bottom it says:

It’s also possible to save the individual frames that go into the stack  – this can be handy to do a full re-process of the imaging session later. "

If you have a good camera already it sounds worth a punt to get SharpCap Pro ( it's only £10) and give it a go. 

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Astro-Geek said:

Thanks Lee, I'll certainly give that a read.

I do much prefer to use non-manufacturer dependent software like Sharpcap.

The time spent learning how to use it is then not wasted if one upgrades their camera to another make.

I'm not familiar with the Infinity software, but SharpCap also has other tools like focusing and Polar Alignment that make that price tag even more attractive if you're already looking at that as a candidate. 

I currently use SharpCap Pro for Polar Alignment, Lunar imagining and have dabbled in some live stacking (with live stretching etc) for EEVA. 

I have used Infinity (software) and Sharpcap and Sequence Generator Pro.

Infinity has the shortest learning curve, hence is awesome for beginners. It is also tailored for Atik cameras, hence has helpful presets.

By contrast, Sharpcap (and SGP) accommodates a myriad of manufacturers and their various foibles, so is inevitably more challenging. Sharpcap has more Astrophotography processing features, but then Atik owners also have Dusk and Dawn software. Infinity is targeted at EAA rather than AP (but inevitably overlaps).

It is interesting that ZWO appear to be attempting to mimic Atik by launching its own more simple software. I suspect there is growing concern that it has become heavily dependent on software that is reliant on a single third party developer. I suspect ZWO also recognise the challenges for beginners given Sharpcap has now become so challenging. 

The Infinity camera and Infinity software is great, but I can't see it offering advantage over ASI294. However, I own an Atik Horizon which is cooled and awesome for deep sky. If I was looking towards Atik for an upgrade from ASI294, I would consider the new Atik Horizon II which is is genuinely ground breaking. A large sensor, high resolution deep sky camera that additionally has a fast frame mode for Solar System objects and benefits from Infinity software, that (IMHO) is compelling, but £1,250.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article, I have just sold my Atik Infinity, had it 2 yr and it is a good camera , easy to use software, and can capture decent images for the purpose of EAA, it is however when all said and done a video camera for DSO, drawback is it is not intended for the purpose of capturing Solar System objects.

I have been thinking of buying the Atik Horizon but not certain it is worth the extra cost over the OSC ZWO294 MC pro which has both DSO and Solar System capability. ( I dont know if the Horizon has Solar System capability)

Sharpcap 3.2 apparently works very well with the ZWO range, and I think I may well be heading in that direction.

However, anyone new and wishing to start out capturing DSO's I would highly recommend the Infinity for its ease of use.

Eric