Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rossette Bok Globules with Leaping Puma now in Colour

Magnum

Rossette Bok Globules with Leaping Puma now in Colour. I started this on Dec 10th and finished on Friday night. 4 x 15 mins in Ha + 6 X 10 Mins in Oiii, captured with my Atik 460EX CCD & Meade 127mm F7.5 triplet refractor. Guided, captured, stacked & stretched in MaximDL, combined and processed in Photoshop.

Finalsmall.jpg

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Great result.

BTW You're in the Observing section here, rather than the Imaging. You should get more replies in Imaging.

Olly

whoops LOL, I think I posted it too late at night 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Great result.

BTW You're in the Observing section here, rather than the Imaging. You should get more replies in Imaging.

Olly

Appears to be in the correct place now, i didn't notice Olly, no surprise really. My cousin was a famous record producer and I thought he produced Led Zep, (wrong info from mum though he was involved with them starting out) it was in fact Genesis VDGG Lindisfarne  and Queen, I had 12 of his albums and never even noticed until we got back in touch 7 years ago, probably also accounts for why I failed in Police 🙂.

Alan

• Haha 1

wow, you got that colour depth with just bicolour ?  Hmm, I shall have to revisit mine.

By the way, if you look at the body of the leaping puma (never hear it called that !) you can see that it's made up of several intertwined helixes - it's an elephant's trunk, of course, a dense knot of material protecting weaker structures behind it from the stellar wind so forming a tail, but this one has magnetic field and electric current running the length of it, causing material to swirl around it, making the helices.

There's a herbig haro object visible in that little light coloured cloud top-left - you can only see one jet, not the other

4 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

wow, you got that colour depth with just bicolour ?  Hmm, I shall have to revisit mine.

There's a herbig haro object visible in that little light coloured cloud top-left - you can only see one jet, not the other

Yes bi colour can be combined in a lot of different ways, but seems to work better on some objects than others. I just did a bi colour M42 but not much colour variation at all, yet objects like the rossette seem to show a wealth of shades from just the 2 filters.

thanks for the info on the Herbig Haro object, i recently captured another one of those in my Pelican nebula image.

Lee

14 hours ago, Magnum said:

Yes bi colour can be combined in a lot of different ways, but seems to work better on some objects than others. I just did a bi colour M42 but not much colour variation at all, yet objects like the rossette seem to show a wealth of shades from just the 2 filters.

what channel combination did you use if you don't mind me asking - HOO or something else, and did you boost the Oiii to match the Ha before merging ?

I've got a similar HOO picture to yours, but mine's much more brick-red, I like your colours better:

46585141255_47786a7441_w.jpg

10 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

what channel combination did you use if you don't mind me asking - HOO or something else, and did you boost the Oiii to match the Ha before merging ?

I've got a similar HOO picture to yours, but mine's much more brick-red, I like your colours better:

46585141255_47786a7441_w.jpg

For this one i used H(H/O)O,   Ha for red, Oiii for blue then a mix of the two for green in ratio of 30:70. I always experiment with the ration for the green until i get it how i like, but its usually around 30:70.

if i want a natural red look the i use straight HOO.

In Maxim i use DDP for the initial stretch, i try to stretch them so the mid and black level is about the same in each, this usually means stretching the oiii more than the Ha. I just eyeball it until i think they look about the same level. then in photoshop I completely process each channel separately as if it they were both stand alone mono images. Next i combine the 2 to make the green channel, now i have 3 images to paste into the Final RGB, then use selective colour to fine tune the colors, normally only have to adjust the red channel with a tip Olly showed me. So seldt reds then move cyan slider to the left this will increase red/orange saturation the move the yellow slider to the right which pushes it into the golden shades..

Lee

Edited by Magnum