SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AsiAir Pro

Hi all, 

Received my AsiAir Pro today. Naturally, I'm over the moon! (no pun intended - or was it...) 

Opening the box, it looks great! Picking it up it feels good and well made. Adding a bracket to slide into the finder shoe on the scope is a nice touch! Well played ZWO!

It comes with a plethora of cables and a 64GB USB stick. However there is no power adaptor/USB.
There is a 2.1mm male>female extension but no cigar/plug/USB. I'll have to dig out the original cable that came with my mount which has long since been put in a box somewhere 'safe'. 

asiair-open.jpg.c21090aaeebefd5a3a3c185d1037bd7c.jpg

I have two methods of providing power to my equipment, a battery and mains fed power unit. 
This..
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-8ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html 

and this..
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

Would I be correct in assuming either of these will safely power the AsiAir via a (fused) 2.1mm>cigar adaptor lead?
(don't want to turn it into a smoke machine!)

Thanks for reading. 
Pete. 

Edit:
Q2: Does the AsiAir bypass the Synscan controller? 
I normally use an RS32>USB adapter to connect the handset to my laptop and was wondering how I would go about connecting the AsiAir to the mount for guiding. 

Edited by Redscouse

I run my ASIAIR Pro from your second example. Runs fine indoors but I’ve not had chance yet to try it out in earnest. Can’t tell from your signature what your set up consists of but received wisdom seems to be that the mount should be powered direct rather than a port on the ASIAIR leaving the four ports for powering cameras, focuser, heaters etc.

I run my setup in EQMod with the cable from the ASIAIR to the mount direct. Since, briefly in my early days, I have never used the hand controller and now that the unit has an option inbuilt to use SkySafari /EQMod this make life even better. Again the guide camera connects to the ASIAIR with one cable direct.

Edited by Grierson

Thanks for the reply Grierson. 

I'm currently running the AsiAir from the power supply unit with an 5a extension. (AsiAir powering mount, focuser, EAF) Hitec Astro (4 port) powering 2x heater strips. All drawing less than 2a, peaks just over 2a when slewing. 

I'm on the hunt for phono > 2.1mm adapter/leads but having no luck.