Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Brian28

Pier Time .

I’m constructing a pier for a Mesu200 Mount ..   but wondered how many bolts should I use for the top levelling plate ..  3 or 4 , and what size studding should I use .. ? 

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.. 

cheers Brian 

Personal choice would be 4 bolts/ rods and M12.   On my last pier which was for an EQ6 I used M14 rods but everything became more expensive because at this size it is outside of “normal” high street stockist size ranges.  

M12 should be plenty strong enough...but then I have no experience with a Mesu200.

my 2peneth.

• Like 1

Not done a pier myself (yet) but previous work history (scaffolder many years ago) suggests that 4 fixed legs are more stable than 3 and share the load better.

Imagine a round coffee table. Which one is least likely to tip over under a heavy load of coffee cups, therefore ruining your carpet?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies ..just for clarity  ..it’s not the bolts to hold the pier down .. there will be 4 of those 👍 , these are for the levelling plate on the top of the mount.. 

Edited by Brian28

57 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

Thanks for the replies ..just for clarity  ..it’s not the bolts to hold the pier down .. there will be 4 of those 👍 , these are for the levelling plate on the top of the mount.. 

Hi Brian

The pier adapter plate for the old Mesu uses 6 bolts.  https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/mesu-mount-accessories/mesu-pier-adapter-plate/

I am sure M12 x 6 would be plenty.

Adam.

• Like 1

If in doubt use more.

The cost of studs/bolts/nuts compared to the mount and the pier materials is negligible.

HTH David.

• Like 1