Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
astro mick

M78

Hi.

It was a nice clear night last night here on the coast,but very windy.I was in two minds whether to open the observatory or not.But these nights are very rare so I risked it.

I chose M78 as it is a nice Reflection Nebulae.The scope was getting bufferd about,and my guiding tolerances were indeed not as I would have liked,but the stars did,nt seem to bad.

In all I shot 2.5hrs in Luminance with my ED80 and Atik 314L+ ccd.This was followed by 1.5hrs in R/B and 1hr for the green.I did want to carry on with the Luminance ,but the wind was increasing,and i did,nt want to risk having damage.

I did take calibration frames apart from darks.

Cheers.

Mick.M78.thumb.png.b18c40a165c2db7d3bc1adf00a823948.png

• Like 22

That's nice @astro mick One I haven't really seen before - good colours and dust (?) and starting to see some depth too.

Must remember to add to a future list as well 👍

Very nice Mick, this isnt an easy one and I think you have done a cracking job.  It was windy here last night too, and like you I found that the star shapes were not too bad at all.

That's a very nice shot, did try this one with the Canon on the 805mm apo but felt something longer was needed in F/L and time. Maybe try again soon, it's in a good place now by 8.00pm.

Alan

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

Nice framing and processing.  Not pushed too far

Rodd

Cheers Rodd.

Appreciate that,

Mick.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

That's a very nice shot, did try this one with the Canon on the 805mm apo but felt something longer was needed in F/L and time. Maybe try again soon, it's in a good place now by 8.00pm.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Its always worth a punt no matter what.

Mick.

• Like 1