Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT - Plate Solving (Targets List)

Z3roCool

Hi there, I have got APT up and running with Plate Solving and works great. My problem is that there does not seem to be a great catalog of images to Plate Solve from. I tried to 'GoTo' The Heart Nebula but not in the list. Had to find an image online and 'Solve' and then 'GoTo'. Is there a way to add more targets in or is it a matter of adding them yourself under the custom option?

Any advice is much appreciated,

Tom.

Not sure how you are using APT. I dont use it myself. However, my method is by using Cartes Du Ceil. I select the object I wish to image on CdC. Select "move scope to here" Then take an image of the sky, plate solve that image. Sync the scope up with CdC map. If the scope is not perfectly on target. Select target again and select "move scope to here" again. That usually puts me dead on target. Image away all night if required :)

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

There is an extended list checkbox in the object browser which you may have missed?  If not and the target you are looking for is still not there, you can try some of the community made lists in the APT forums such as ones on here: https://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=147

Or you can use cartes du cel/stellerium as suggested.

Edited by scitmon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also download a couple of catalogs to add a load more targets. I think one is the  burnham. Give me a bit to dig them out. You just need to be aware that some are not correct.

Burnham Northern Tour - no stars.xml 100 Best Astrophotogrphy Objects.xml

Gear-objects-custom-import list.

Edited by spillage
  • Thanks 1