Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Dave_D

3d printed tracker

That's rather neat.  I wonder how accurate it actually is.

James

It would be better if it was EQ.  That gives camera rotation.  Also, one axis looks like friction drive - inaccurate.

56 minutes ago, Gina said:

It would be better if it was EQ.

The link seems to imply it is EQ - "3d printable eq split ring style tracking and goto". It also idicates "huge gears that surround the camera. These result in massive gear ratios, which mean the cheap stepper motors that move the camera have to turn dozens of times for every single revolution of the final gears. This keeps movement nice and smooth." - but then I don't really know so maybe it's not EQ. 🤔 Whatever I'm impressed cos' it looks super-cool :) 

If it was EQ it wouldn't need both axes running to track the stars.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

It would be better if it was EQ.  That gives camera rotation.  Also, one axis looks like friction drive - inaccurate.

Maybe it's simply like a wedge mounted fork, the video is a bit confusing as both axis are whizzing around, presumably when actually tracking only the RA is moving and the Dec making small adjustments, didn't read the whole thing, can it be guided I wonder ?

Dave

• Like 1

It looks like a very well designed EQ mount to me, far far far better than any commercial products I have seen for a DSLR and lens..

Alan

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

It looks like a very well designed EQ mount to me, far far far better than any commercial products I have seen for a DSLR and lens..

Alan

Looks it to me as well.

Nice looking indeed and nicely done too..:thumbsup:
But there are far simpler startrackers that can be printed.
Two printed arms, a hinge, a threaded rod and a stepper. That hinge is the polar axis.

• Like 1

THe design is still evolving it would seem.

The current model only works between 45 and 55 degrees North. He's going to release models for other latitudes once he has finalised the design and published it.

Adrian

Definitely a split ring equatorial mount with GOTO capability.

Quite a coincidence as I've just started modifying my version of one this week, abandoned years ago as result of LP where I live. I now need something for my latest project and have decided against getting an EQ6.

I don't see why a friction drive is in any way inaccurate. I regard it as gears with an infinite number of teeth. This does make it difficult to determine the exact ratios, but that is easily sorted with firmware. Unlike gears, worms and belts there is nothing to introduce periodic errors unless something is not round or centred, also easily sorted. IMO, if properly built it can be the DIY'ers 10 micron drive!

mount.jpg

Edited by Icosahedron
  • Like 1

My, that's fab. Love it. If anything I'd add the third rotational axis and just play. 

Add encoders if necessary and through axis wiring for camera control.

I'll ask the mesu owners about friction drives. Don't know that they are happy enough. 

I'd have that on my coffee table just to look at.