SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Not very ssuitable for Kids!

Geoffw

Its an advert supplied via Google. The ads are targetted based on how much the advertiser bids and from the information Google stores on you.

1 hour ago, Geoffw said:

I know you won't believe me😀, but I've never placed a bet online in my life!!!!

The point is that the advert wasn't selected by the website.....it is served up via a totally unrelated system.

10 minutes ago, Gina said:

I have had adverts that have nothing to do with my online activities including betting which I don't believe in - I don't even do the lottery.

I assume that the system isn't 100% perfect. it is, however, clever enough to make Google a very wealthy company.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

What are the odds of getting gambling ads on your screen, when you dont gamble.

😀

Edited by Zakalwe

1 hour ago, Zakalwe said:

The adverts will be based on YOUR browsing history, interests Google searches and nothing to do with the website publishers. It's how online advertising works.

Sorry to disagree, but behind all the county security we still get the odd advert like this, or for scantily clad singles in the area (!), in our primary school where the browsing history is totally clean and legit!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Sorry to disagree, but behind all the county security we still get the odd advert like this, or for scantily clad singles in the area (!), in our primary school where the browsing history is totally clean and legit!

A lot of advertising is based just on location, age demographic & so on.

One of the points of advertising is to form interest where there is none and for that reason - you will sometimes get stuff that you are generally not interested in. Maybe it will spark an interest in you when you see advert for it.

A lot goes into algorithms that select what should be displayed to you, and we can't just simply conclude that content is served based on what is "good" for you. At some point algorithm may even serve you some content for which it previously established that you have no interest in it at all - simply to do survey of how often people change their minds based on vast number of parameters.