stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

I am thinking on grinding my own lightweight mirror (first f4 16", later f4 24"). The lightest and cheapest option is to get a thin blank and slump it in a decent kiln.

Anyone has longer term experiene with slumped mirrors? Overall doesn't seem to be more work than a normal (not pregenerated) blank.

Do I have to grind the backside as in case of normal flat back mirrors to avoid astigmatism? How do people support a convex back while grinding? Does it make sense to grind a hole in the middle for additional support? I am remotely considering a convertible Newtonian/Cassegrain system anyway...

Edited by GTom

Hello, I have slumped my own blanks in a kiln but gave up due to the expense of running the kiln. To properly anneal a large blank takes many hours of controlled cooling which is expensive. You then have the problem of supporting the meniscus blank during grinding which is not straight forward.  It is more economical to go the monolithic blank route which is well tried and tested. Hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

I agree with John. Trying slumping a couple of 12" disks, one was about 6mm thick the other 10mm (?) Used the services of the local ceramic group and their Kiln.

Making a "proper" mould to slump into proved difficult, temperature control/ annnnealling became a PITA!

Supporting the disks for grinding - sand bags/ air bags/ various disks of carpet didn't work for me.

An alternative was to vacuum distort a thin blank (which already had a "reasonable" finish) - supported on an edge O ring within a closed cell and hand vacuum pump connected to the rear. Yes, I think it would have eventually worked, getting around f10.

Don't even think of stretching a Mylar mirror and vacuum!!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By guydive
      Hey all,
      I'm considering the 250PDS. The main use is visual, and the second is EAA (I currently use a zwo183mm). 
      What I'm hesitant about is the primary focus. since It's mostly for visual, I'm wondering on how much back focus it has compared to the standard Skywatcher 10" dobsonians? with the standard dobsonias with the same optics and focuser you already need an extension tube for most eyepieces...
      Also, there's probably a "bigger" obstruction (bigger shadow on primary)? 
    • By dcobb
      Hello everyone,
      After impulse buying this 80mm refractor a year ago, being very underwhelmed and returning it, I've stepped back and done a lot of researching of scopes & astronomy (mainly online due to Covid19).  Now that I have a little better perspective on things I'm looking to get my first "real" scope and would welcome some advice.  A lot of things I read and seen seem to suggest an 8" DOB being a good beginner scope one can grow into, without breaking the bank.  Thus I'm leaning towards the Apertura AD8 with a Barlow & maybe additional lenses down the road, but again I welcome any advice or confirmation that this is a good first scope for me and my family? 
      Other details worth mentioning:
      Price - A definite factor as I have no idea how hooked I or my family will become with the hobby.  Last thing I want is an expensive dust collector sitting in the corner of the room.  Definitely under $1k, preferably closer to half.  If we end up loving it and I trade up, so be it... Interests - Planets and definitely faint & DSO's for sure (so I think that rules out low cost refactors?) Aperture - I know this is the most important aspect and people tend to suggest "Go bigger", 10", 12"+, and I understand the trade offs, but have no practical experience yet, so this is a difficult decision.  Price, portability & light gathering are all considered here and why I feel the 8" is probably a good first scope size?  (feel free to weigh in here) Location - I mainly see this being used in our backyard, which thankfully is pretty private & dark but we do live in the suburbs and there are stairs to consider.  Maybe we'll take it camping or drive to a secluded rural spot once in a while, who knows... Size - Similar to aperture giving more light, I read that 10"and above start to become heavy & unwieldy.  I'm no weakling but my wife and kids may want to use this too and the backyard is down stairs off our deck, so factoring this in.... Astrophotography - Probably not yet...  My wife's a photo nut and has a couple nice DSLR's already.  However, this seems like an expensive & time consuming rabbit hole, plus I would think you'd need auto-tracking mounts.  Things could change down the road but for now it's not something I'm really factoring in.  One can always google celestial pics right? Manual vs. motorized - I really don't know.  I've read the pros & cons, people seem to be on one side or the other, and again astrophotography isn't a big factor at this time, so probably manual.... I was somewhat considering NexStar 6SE as it's barely under $1k, but thinking a 6" will limit DSO capabilities?  The 8SE seems nice but we're talking $1200+ for bare bones.  Also an interesting conversation I had with a rep from highpointscientific mentioned an 8" DOB would be more blurry and have less color than an equivalent 8" SCT, which got me worried about a DOB and seemed to contradicted things I've read, but again I have no practical experience here.  All I know is I bought a $200 scope off Amazon a year ago that could view the moon and bird watch.  Saturn and Jupiter were blurry, shaky, white dots, forget about DSO's.  I returned that 4.5 star hunk of junk and wanted something more.  I hear great things about DOB's far as viewing, but I'm not going to find an accurate video online of what one would really see through it for obvious reasons.  So here I am looking for advice.  Would an 8" DOB be a good first buy?  Would it genuinely be able to see the planets well along with many faint and DSO's?  I know a 10" or 12"+ would gather more light while sacrificing cost and bulk, but are they that big of difference between being able to see DSO's and not vs. an 8"?  What I would hate is to buy an 8" DOB and immediately think "I should have bought a 10" or bought a 10" and never use it as it's too much of a hassle to lug down the stairs & setup?  So C'mon experts, please bring it!  If you made it this far, thank you very much & you'll have good karma for many moons to come!!!

• By martinux
      Due to an unfortunate accident my SN10 primary mirror is broken. While it was an unwieldy beast and pretty much required a complete rebuild when I got it from the previous owner I really loved it.  
      My understanding, thanks to discussions between owners of this OTA, is that the SN10 used a spherical mirror. However Meade's representative did not wish to confirm this "proprietary information" after stating that they could not sell me a replacement. 
      So, I'm stuck with a bit of a quandary: do I roll the dice and attempt to get a spherical mirror constructed? (I doubt that non-parabolic mirrors are routinely manufactured and would probably come at a price-premium). I have read anecdotal discussions that the primaries are somehow "matched" to the schmitt correctors which, I must admit, makes no sense to me as I thought that a spherical mirror was manufactured with a uniform curvature. Thus, without more information, I'm thinking that this could be an expensive and ultimately unworkable solution. 
      Alternatively, do I cut my losses and replace it with something like a Skywatcher 250P?
      Any other suggestions? 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you can render.
    • By Pincs
      Hi, I got a skywatcher skyliner 200p dobisonian a few days ago, my first observing session was out in the cold and the telescope dewed up when I bought it back in. I then noticed that the glass on the base of the telescope(not the primary mirror inside) was smudged and had a little ring shaped scratch on it. I tried cleaning with a lense cloth but it is still slightly dcratched and smudged. Does anyone know if this makes a difference to the inside primary mirror?
    • By Corpze
      Hi, I know that there has been a couple of threads on how to collimate a newtonian, more specific, how to center the secondary mirror under the focuser.
      I bought mine "Concenter eyepiece" for almost a year ago and can't praise it enough - it makes centering the secondary a breeze.

Have anyone else tried this? What is your opinion?

I have also read that some have questions of how accurate it is? - I might not know the answer to this question, but what I do know is that after I have been centering the secondary with the Concenter eyepiece, I finish of the collimation with the Catseye XLKP and Blackcat. The small adjustments I have to make of the secondary after adjusting it with the Concenter eyepiece tells me it is very accurate. It is just the absolute finest adjustments i have to make afterwards.

I have made a video of how it works and how it looks like when I am collimating my scope. (10" f3,4 astrograph)

Best regards, Daniel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.