Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Essentials Samyang Lens to M48 Adapter

FLO

This is a great idea. I do not own, as yet, the samyang 135mm, but from some of the reviews iv'e read, this should go someway to removing the tilt that can happen using the standard EOS adaptors.

John

I asked Uranium about this several months back and he said it was in the pipeline so glad to see this. The samyang 135mm is one possibility for my coming mobile setup. 

I wonder if there is room for a filter draw and a filter adaptor...

Great Idea. 

Edited by Adam J

4 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Excellent..  but probably worth pointing out that this looks like it will only fit the Canon version of the lens.  I got a similar one from Astrojolo and it doesn't fit my Nikon version. :( 

Dave

As they make one lens that fits various cameras by attaching different bayonets surely it fits theme all?

What I want to know is does it fit all Samyang lenses including the mirrorless ones? (Could have some fun with my 12mm f2.0)

Brilliant!  Ordering one - despite what I said earlier about not buying anything else, this is cheap enough and I will be definitely sticking with wide-field.  This is just what I have been looking for to eliminate the minute tilt.

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

I asked Uranium about this several months back and he said it was in the pipeline so glad to see this. The samyang 135mm is one possibility for my coming mobile setup. 

I wonder if there is room for a filter draw and a filter adaptor...

Great Idea. 

More than enough room, you can use a standard thickness filter wheel which is usually about 21mm and still have room left for whatever adaptor and extension rings you need.

Always better to space it just short to start, then add a delrin spacer or two in order to get it focusing as close to infinity as possible.

I'm chuffed that one of my ideas actually turned out to be useful 😄

I'm out working at the mo, but I'll fill in with more info when I get home. 

• Like 1

Okey doke, back in front of a proper keyboard now: :)

As for the question of other lenses in the Samyang range, I have to stress that this mod is for manual lenses only - as the electronics invoved with an AF lens would simply get in the way.

Now, looking a the bayonet for the 85mm Sammy - it looks like the mounting is suspiciously similar to the 135

21%2001%202015142186029085mm%20Cine%20Mk

I suspect the 50 and 35mm manual lenses would follow suit. So if you already have one of those in your box then there may be a good chance it would work.

More on spacing... You can see the M48-T2 adaptor (plus delrin spacer) im using is roughly 8.5mm, and the distance from the camera T2 plate to the sensor is a whopping 35.5mm.

20200114_220032.thumb.jpg.8b8312f52d633d9a72d4b606fd6a4e96.jpg

Both add up to the magic number of 44mm, when setting up your spacings, dont forget to add distance when using filters.

Example:

Astronomk: +0.33mm (may not need to bother)

Badder: +0.66

Astrodon: +1mm

It might not seems much, but 1mm can put you well short of infinity focus. The camera im using has a mixture of Astrodon and Baader filters - slighly more complicated :D

36 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Now, looking a the bayonet for the 85mm Sammy - it looks like the mounting is suspiciouly similar to the 135

And 14mm f2.8.

Dave

14mm-2.8.png.979fc79b145195d173a44a826cf4caff.png

22 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

The camera im using has a mixture of Astrodon and Baader filters - slighly more complicated

Oops 😂

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

And 14mm f2.8.

Dave

That looks almost identical! :) You will notice that the three screws are not quite 120 degrees apart - one of them is offset by about 10deg, same as the 135mm.

What it looks like is that the rear end of all the MF canon fit lenses are the same construction, just with different optics upfront (makes sense to keep production costs down).

3 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

More on spacing... You can see the M48-T2 adaptor (plus delrin spacer) im using is roughly 8.5mm, and the distance from the camera T2 plate to the sensor is a whopping 35.5mm.

20200114_220032.thumb.jpg.8b8312f52d633d9a72d4b606fd6a4e96.jpg

Both add up to the magic number of 44mm, when setting up your spacings, dont forget to add distance when using filters.

Example:

Astronomk: +0.33mm (may not need to bother)

Badder: +0.66

Astrodon: +1mm

It might not seems much, but 1mm can put you well short of infinity focus. The camera im using has a mixture of Astrodon and Baader filters - slighly more complicated :D

I would think that if you add 1mm for the AD filters the Bàader will still reach focus at infinity. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 09/09/2020 at 19:08, Hallingskies said:

This adapter is certainly a real boon to many astro-minded Samyang 135 owners.  Just wondered if FLO were planning a T2 threaded version that would fit Starlight Xpress equipment?

If you're planning on using a SX universal filterwheel, you can change the m42 attachment to a m48 version. Don't know if Atik make something similar.

I did some research and apparently a T2 connection seems feasible. There's a similar version of the adapter made by a Polish astrophotographer, as shown here. I was worried that the rear element of the lens would be too big, but apparently not :) 

So I decided to remove (unscrew) bayonet from the lens and put there custom CNC machined adapter ended with male T2 thread. It provides nice and rigid connection.

IMO T2 would be a more versatile option than M48, since you can always add a T2 to M48 ring if needed :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 14/01/2020 at 14:59, FLO said:

Special thanks to @Uranium235 for suggesting this new Astro Essentials Samyang Lens to M48 Adapter 🙂 

Originally designed to enable him to directly connect his manual 135mm Samyang lens to his astronomy camera, with space remaining for a filter-wheel or filter drawer. 

ae_samyang_m48_adptr_1a.jpg

Any chance you can make a similar connector for the Nikon F mount version of the SY 135? There's plenty of us Nikonians out there need one of these. The screw pattern is different for starters...

• Like 3