Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Freff

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Star Party 2020

I am pleased to announce that the South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) has arranged our spring Star Party again at the superb Pencelli Castle Caravan & Camping Park. Sited in the Brecon Beacons National Park and Dark Sky Reserve, this location offers some truly dark skies which are excellent for observing and imaging. Please read Site Conditions.

The main nights will be Thurs 19th, Friday 20th & Sat 22nd March 2020. The New Moon is on Tuesday 24th.  Anyone wanting additional nights outside these dates please confirm on booking.

Unfortunately, this year I will not be available to organise the bookings and pitch allocations due to family commitments. Bookings this year will be made directly to the Pencelli Camp site. Fees for your pitch etc will be paid at time of booking. If you have any queries please PM me and I will try and sort them.

All pitches and hard standings for us are in the Oaks area. All pitches have EHU and have the least obstructed views of the night sky. If bookings exceed the pitches on the Oaks, there is the Meadows, an area that can be used for tents only and has no EHU. This area also offers excellent views. The Meadows cannot be booked until the Oaks have been filled. This will avoid unfilled pitches on the Oaks being used by the public during the event.

Please Contact Pencelli Caravan Park for Bookings. Please ensure you tell them you are with the Astronomy Group so pitches are reserved together. If you have a favourite pitch, please ask them to reserve it for you.
After booking please could you post here your SGL name and the Pitch number you have been allocated. This will help other members to see what pitches are available and who is attending.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me either email or PM.

Tony

Edited by Freff
  • Like 2

Hi Tony, you might need to double check your dates because the Thursday would be the 19’th if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Phil, another senior moment I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

Have arranged time of work (19th - 23rd). Will book campsite when they open up in Feb. 

Mick

They are available to take booking now Mick. 

I think I might still book just incase things don't pan out. Who wants to go to NZ anyway. 😀

Will give them a call.

NZ sounds good. Will you be taking your imaging rig with you? 🤔

Hoping to take the small gear I bought recently. 

Can't go until all the work on Cath's sisters house is completed.

Booked, 19th - 23rd (pitch 5).

Hope to see you all there.

Mick & Jill.

• Like 1

I have just left a message on the campsites phone answering machine to book my usual pitch. 

Looking forward to it again.

Justyn

• Like 1

Hi everyone, just left them a message to reserve pitch 29 so fingers crossed we'll be there this year as it's been to long.

• Like 2

Hi Tich,

Saw this video and thought of you at star parties with your fold away caravan!!!!! 😀

Edited by reddoss
  • Like 1

I'd need a bigger scooter to tow mine 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tich said:

I'd need a bigger scooter to tow mine 😂

I don't think I could even get either my mount or scope into that side car!!!!

Edited by reddoss

Hi All,

I have just booked a pitch (2). This will be my first SWAG star party and I hope to have the opportunity of meeting many of you during the event. Can someone advise me what a new attendee can expect at a SWAG star party?

thanks Martin

Edited by Xsubmariner
Wrong pitch
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 14:51, reddoss said:

Hi Tich,

Saw this video and thought of you at star parties with your fold away caravan!!!!! 😀

Same as mine..

20190319_142211.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi All,

I have just booked a pitch (3). This will be my first SWAG star party and I hope to have the opportunity of meeting many of you during the event. Can someone advise me what a new attendee can expect at a SWAG star party?

thanks Martin

Hi Martin and welcome.

What you can expect from our star party at Pencelli Castle is a great crowd of people with a wealth of experience and knowledge. 

When the weather is playing ball, great skies. An excellent caravan and camping park with well spaced pitches.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself regardless of the weather.

PS By the way you are on Pitch 2 not Pitch 3. I checked bookings today with Pencelli.

Thanks Freff,

It’s official, I can’t read a text message properly, and there I was about to blame Craig. Age and reading glasses are the pits.

Hi all

I have booked pitch 11 for Friday and Saturday night. Looking forward to galaxy hunting and the customary walk to the top of the Brecons!

Mark

• Like 2

Looks like I will be there after all.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Booked pitch 14 for 20th to 23rd. Looking forward to it again.

• Like 2

Hi,

I'm in the Knowle Astronomical Soc (KAS), West Midlands. I have booked pitch 1 for the weekend and I'm looking forward to meeting members of SWAG to learn, share enthusiasm and swap ideas, etc. I have always fancied going to to the Brecon Beacons.

I'll get some jaffa cakes in case anyone wants to pop over and say hello

I hope the clouds finally part between now and then.

Thank you for organising this event

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

Hello all,

Although I've been into Astronomy since my teenage years, it's only in recent years that I've been investing and getting into it again and loving every freezing minute of it!!!

Bristol based and keenly looking forward not only to leave my backyard but also to mingle with like minded people and learn from the experience of others whilst building up my own!

I've gone and booked my space already (pitch 12 I believe) so will be seeing you all from the Saturday to the Monday.

Can't wait for this and will be dancing to the Rain Gods for them to be clement and allow some clear skies for us all, hope you do the same 😛

https://gph.is/1NZh185

All the best,

Andres 'Argy' Atkinson

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Regret to advise that I will not  now be attending, while I would love to meet you all I have gone into cocoon mode.

Hope to meet you next year.

Edited by Xsubmariner
Shorten