SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pleiades and Hyades, Google Pixel 2

For a bit of fun last night. Just as the moon was rising. I decided to stick my phone on my star adventurer after pointing the mount north. 

I grabbed around 10 exposures using the hacked camera app which includes the "astrophotography" mode. 

I also covered the lens and took some darks. And pointed the camera at a white laptop screen in some type of attempt to get some flats. Lol

Anyway it was all good fun for 30 minutes total outside. 

I managed to stack the images but the final image still showed s lot of vignetting. So maybe the darks and flats didn't work. 

So, I cropped the hell out of the final image and after a bit of "processing" as best I could in Startools and Paint.Net, this is what I ended up with. Lol. 

Now, I know it's pretty pants. BUT, I'm staggered at what a smartphone can capture tbh. 

Has anyone else tried anything similar??

Thanks for looking and indulging me. Lol

2020-01-13_07-29-31.jpg.8b4b5ce1ff2d66469a20a8acdc995a9f.jpg

For reference here's one of the exposures, as I say, I cropped the hell out of it. Lol

IMG_20200112_195052.thumb.jpg.461d23e2cea36941311799335ef1e7d6.jpg

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, you're right it is impressive how good the smartphones are now. Did you find the Google astrophotography mode added anything to the process? I have a Pixel 2XL at the moment but due an upgrade soon so looking at the 4. Otherwise I might try hacking the feature as you've mentioned!

With the astrophotography mode, the phone must be on a tripod. Not like the night sight where the phone can be hand held. 

I am due an upgrade soon also. Had the 2 for a couple of years and it's been excellent. 

Going to see what the 4a is like. 

Edited by Bobby1970

• 3 weeks later...