Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY 2 inch filter adapter?

msacco

Hi, I've recently bought the L-eNhance 2 inch filter, but I currently don't have any way to mount it. The cheapest solution I've found was a filter drawer that costs around $80, that's kinda more than I'd like to currently spend on that and I believe I could possibly find a cheaper solution to mount it.

I do have a 3D printer which I could use to assist with that, I've already seen this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4000378 which could potentially work well with another adapter.

So I would just love to hear some ideas from you :)

Thanks!

I see that it comes with T2(almost m42) connection and T2 to M48 adapter. So it looks like you need a 2" nose piece (threaded for filters) with either T2(or m42) threads or M48 threads.

Edited by R26 oldtimer
Wrong impression about m48 and sct threads

16 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I don't mind the waiting at all, but where should the filter go in there?

3 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I am not exactly sure what you mean. If you have a 2" filter, you screw it in front of a 2" nosepiece. The filter as well as the nosepiece have m48x0. 75 threads.

I see, so I just need to make sure I have a SCT to M48 adapter as well?

No, no forget what wrote before about sct threads. Your ASI071 has T2 threads/connection interface, right? So you can screw the above mentioned  aliexpress nosepiece directly to your camera. Then you screw the 2" filter on the nosepiece and insert it in your scope's 2" focuser.

39 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

No, no forget what wrote before about sct threads. Your ASI071 has T2 threads/connection interface, right? So you can screw the above mentioned  aliexpress nosepiece directly to your camera. Then you screw the 2" filter on the nosepiece and insert it in your scope's 2" focuser.

Maybe that's due to my outdated signature, but I'm currently using a Celestron C8 Edge HD, I believe that I'll need a special adapter from the SCT thread to 2" nosepiece first? Or is there anything I'm missing?

I see that your c8 has an 1.25" visual back. I am not an sct/mak person, but it looks that this scope is optimized for 1.25". I guess you could fit a 2" visual back or make an adapter but you will suffer from vignetting, as the inner tube will still be 1.25". Why didn't you get an 1.25" filter?

11 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I see that your c8 has an 1.25" visual back. I am not an sct/mak person, but it looks that this scope is optimized for 1.25". I guess you could fit a 2" visual back or make an adapter but you will suffer from vignetting, as the inner tube will still be 1.25". Why didn't you get an 1.25" filter?

I bought a 2" filter because the ASI071MC is an APS-C sensor. I don't really have any idea what visual back is though.

As far as I understand it's simply the SCT thread size? Because the SCT thread is bigger than 2"?

Edited by msacco

I am starting to read a bit on scts and there are some complex variables on visual backs, or add on focusers, as the scope's focal length changes. I am sorry, it looks like I can't help you as I am not sure exactly how these scope's work. I would suggest to open a new thread to one of the imaging subforums, asking how others have connected their cameras to a C8 edge. I am sure others use this scope for imaging with large sensors as yours, and they will give you a hint. Then you can see if you will use an off the shelf solution, or DIY one accordingly.

1 hour ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I am starting to read a bit on scts and there are some complex variables on visual backs, or add on focusers, as the scope's focal length changes. I am sorry, it looks like I can't help you as I am not sure exactly how these scope's work. I would suggest to open a new thread to one of the imaging subforums, asking how others have connected their cameras to a C8 edge. I am sure others use this scope for imaging with large sensors as yours, and they will give you a hint. Then you can see if you will use an off the shelf solution, or DIY one accordingly.

Well the common solution is a filter drawer like this: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-filter-drawer-m42

Or simply a filter wheel, but that's pretty expensive, and I really don't want to spend all that much for it. This is the only filter I have and don't plan on getting any more filters soon, so I don't really need something like a filter wheel etc.

Have you found a solution?

If not, I hope this helps :

That is awesome! Exactly what I needed. Now I can finally use my filter without going bankrupt :)
I might invest in a filter wheel in the future in case I decide to get more filters, but at the moment just to use a single filter I don't see any reason to spend so much on a filter wheel/filter drawer.

I'll surely get it and try it out, it looks perfect. Thank you so much for that!