SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice on connectors

Vox45

So I bought an Electro luminescent panel a while back and it came with 2 littles connectors (marked in red in the picture below, I cannot figure out what they are... I think they are JST connectors...)

37583722_IMG_3030(1).jpg.c879ece436a90221fe970ea4adc9a077.jpg

I've decided to build version 3 of my power distribution box and would like to have the inverter inside the box and the connector surface mounted outside.

The inverter convert from 5v DC (USB) to some 3.5v AC ... Would any connector do ? Does the fact that the inverter converts to AC is an issue, I see connectors marked as "DC" like these one but why would it not work with AC ?

Connectors.jpg.2afee8ad7e2494ef8800838f417f5019.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Edited by Vox45

I have some vague recollection from long, long ago that the current ratings are different for AC and DC, so perhaps the manufacturer only expects the connector to be used with DC and only gives the specs for that.  However, if what you need for your AC connection is clearly well within the DC spec then in this instance I don't think I'd be worrying about it too much.

Given the different supplies involved, I would shy away from anything that's the same as power connectors you already have.  So for instance if you're using 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs for 12V DC for mounts/cameras/whatever, I'd not also use those for 3.5V AC.

For what it's worth, after much to-ing and fro-ing over connectors for my dew controller temperature sensors my current (ahem :) intention is to try 3-pin GX12 plugs and sockets.  They're also available as 2-pin variants and might be worth a look.  The other type I considered was mini-XLR.  I have the impression that both are fairly well regarded amongst SGL members who have built their own electronic bits and pieces.

James

6 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

yes they look very nice indeed :) but I am quite lazy so I want a connector that I can plug/unlug without having to screw them on. I just need to plug my flat panel for a couple of minutes and unplug and pack everything so these might be a bit of an overkill. They do look nice for the mount though :) 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the advice James!

12 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Given the different supplies involved, I would shy away from anything that's the same as power connectors you already have.  So for instance if you're using 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs for 12V DC for mounts/cameras/whatever, I'd not also use those for 3.5V AC.

I do not understand this paragraph though, something must be lost in translation ;)  The power for the inverter comes from a 12V DC USB powered hub, so the USB port is outputing 5V DC, then the inverter goes to 3.5v AC... as far as I understand ;) so why would this have an effect on the rest of my devices 12V DC devices ?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Vox45 said:

yes they look very nice indeed :) but I am quite lazy so I want a connector that I can plug/unlug without having to screw them on. I just need to plug my flat panel for a couple of minutes and unplug and pack everything so these might be a bit of an overkill. They do look nice for the mount though :) 

There are 12mm versions (GX12) and 16mm (GX16) so if you're thinking about using them, do make sure you get the size you want :)  I think the 12mm versions should be ample for most astronomy applications.

However, if you just want something you can plug and unplug quickly for a few minutes use then I'd look for something similar to what you posted, just making sure it wouldn't fit anything you already have.  I accept that it may be a bit retentive, but the number of times over the years that I've seen postings from people who clearly never thought they'd get 12V and 6V supplies mixed up despite having the same plug leads me to believe it's a practice that's best avoided.

James

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

There are 12mm versions (GX12) and 16mm (GX16) so if you're thinking about using them, do make sure you get the size you want :)  I think the 12mm versions should be ample for most astronomy applications.

However, if you just want something you can plug and unplug quickly for a few minutes use then I'd look for something similar to what you posted, just making sure it wouldn't fit anything you already have.  I accept that it may be a bit retentive, but the number of times over the years that I've seen postings from people who clearly never thought they'd get 12V and 6V supplies mixed up despite having the same plug leads me to believe it's a practice that's best avoided.

James

Haaaa now I get it :) ! mixing up plug ! yes I understand what you mean ... good point :) 

Just now, Vox45 said:

Thanks for the advice James!

I do not understand this paragraph though, something must be lost in translation ;)  The power for the inverter comes from a 12V DC USB powered hub, so the USB port is outputing 5V DC, then the inverter goes to 3.5v AC... as far as I understand ;) so why would this have an effect on the rest of my devices 12V DC devices ?

As I hope I have made clear in my previous post (after yours), all I really mean is: don't use connectors that you also use for other supplies that would leave you at risk of letting out the magic smoke if you plug the wrong ones into each other should your brain happen to decide to take a power nap at the moment you're connecting things up.

James

• Like 1

I can imagine plugging my DSLR to 3.5V AC !!

Fortunatly, this is one of the main reason I have a power distribution box is that everything remains plugged in inside the box ;) so I never mix up USB 2 and 3 ports or plug into the wrong voltage (12v mount and DSLR 9v) there will be only one plug outside the box and it will be the one for the flat panel :) 

That is also the reason I want to change the connector as it is not surface mountable and hard to clip/unclip with frozen fingers ! so tiny ... 

I've started  building my new box with a RPI4 4GB inside and a stepper motor using a Stepper motor HAT. I started today a cardboard mockup and I will design everything in Fusion360 so I can 3D print it. As you can see, I have a LOT of time on my hands :) 

Here is an exclusive look at the mockup ;) (only half the box)

IMG_3290small.JPG.5c66eaf5abc17f6c178625d340605055.JPG

IMG_3291small.JPG.c44280eb19b62ee2a4cc65087d8d3f87.JPG

And it will be mounted as such :) (minus the guide scope on the top)

exemple.jpg.99f1dfa837d8659b91f4520164d3f7e8.jpg