Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Astrofriend

How to rotate raw files and save them

Sometimes you have problems that you can't find solutions to and you push it to the future how to solve it. In my data there are photos I took already in 2013 that I accidentally had the camera's auto rotation turned on. As a result, as the mount moved during the night, the orientation of some of the photos changed.

Since then I have tried to change the rotation so that all of the raw photos will be back to a horizontal orientation again which many of the astro software require. Changing the orientation is easy in most software, but to save them in Canon's .cr2 format again I never found a solution to until now.

Here's how I solved it:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-rotate-raw-files/01-tutorial-rotate-raw-files.html

I have only done this on Canon's .cr2 files. Let me know if you can use this for other cameras, Nikon, Sony etc. You have at least to change the file extension inside the batch file.

/Lars

Maybe I'm missing the point but I thought you could rotate them in the Canon Digital Professional that comes on the disc with the camera.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I can rotate the Canon raw files with Canon software, but can I store the new rotation in the .cr2 file with that software ? It's only a windows software I think and it can only handle Canon raw files. It was many years since I had that Canon software installed, but there was some problem with it that I don't remeber now.

/Lars

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OlegKutkov
      Hello.
      This is my first post here and I wish to introduce a little program i wrote.
      This is a RAW to FITS batch converter. Converter supports many cameras vendors: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Konica, Hasselblad and so on.
      May be useful for someone who shooting space with DSLR and wanna do a real science, search for variable stars for example.
      Program is very simple (see attached screenshot), you just set input directory, output directory and few conversion options.
      You can choose how to process color channels from the RAW file.
      Possible options is:
      - convert RGB to avarage grayscale
      - store all three channels as separate images in a one FITS.
      - store all three channels in a separate FITS's
      - store only one selected channel
      Converter supports multithreading conversion, depending on your cpu/cores count.
      All data you entered in UI will store in FITS header. Some data (like exposure, date and camera model) may be acquired from the RAW file, this is preferable.

This is a free software licensed under GPLv2 license.
      You can get it on github: https://github.com/olegkutkov/Raw2Fits
      Program uses libraw library and i highly recommend to get latest stable version of this library instead of using your distro version. If you have multiple LibRaw versions on your system - please carefully check which version you linking and using in runtime. Correct Makefile if needed.
      Libraw version older than 0.17 may not correctly extract EXIF data from the RAW files.
      Also you will need cfitsio, any version is Ok.
      User interface is built with GTK3 toolkit and tested with Gnome 3, Mate and Cinnamon DE on different Mint, Debian and Fedora distributions.

After executing 'sudo make install' command this program should appear in your Applications menu
      Hope this program will be useful for someone.
      I will be glad to hear your feedback, propositions and bug reports

• By Rickvanman
      I'm running windows 7 Professional on a x64 System and have downloaded and installed the official Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0)  (have tried both versions (x64 and x86) but neither got the thumbnails to show in windows explorer.
      The CR2 images are created on the Canon 1300D. According to the Canon website, they are compatible and no additional codecs are required.
      Does anyone know how I can get the CR2 thumbnails to show images? Preferably without having to buy 'viewing software' from iffy-looking websites 

TIA
    • By A4Andromeda
      I've recently started DSO imaging: Canon EOS 550D (modded), Celestron 9.25 SCT, AVX mount.
      I use BYE, save RAW + JPEG to laptop, then process in DSS.
      When I go into Register checked images: advanced: compute number of detected stars; I get a decent number (approx 250) if I am registering JPEG images at 2%, but very few, often zero, with RAW images of the same object, no matter where I put the slider.
      Am I getting the settings wrong, or is there another answer.
      Thank you.
    • By todd8137
      Hi all was out last night the 9th and was just viewing around 21:30 seeing was brill so a bit of moon as Jupiter was bounce ing all over the place try in to get focus with the rgb was terrible ,
      That said I pointed at the moon ,and the boil was evident and I ran a few test vids could not get tight focus
      Here's the kit
      C9.25" sct
      Dmk 21 mono
      Ir 740mn pass filter
      Cgem on pier
      30fps
      Average 1200 frames best 90% stacked

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.