Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Stu,

Only just noticed your post, Sorry. What is Sat24? I am not familiar with this.

Thank you

Barry

This is it, very handy. You can select different views including rain radar which is great for knowing when there is a shower coming across.

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Thanks 1

The way that I observe for moons around Neptune and Uranus is:

- To use high magnifications, eg: 300x or more.

- To examine carefully the area of sky that surrounds the planetary disk, noting any possible point sources of light, their position relative to the planetary disk and an approximation of distance away from the planetary disk in terms of disk diameters (Neptune is approx 2.2-2.4 arc seconds, Uranus 3.4-3.7 arc seconds.

- Triton at Neptune is easier to see than any of the Uranian moons but even then hardly a "piece of cake".

- For faint point sources of light I find that a kind of averted vision helps them to pop out. This technique involves defocussing my eye so I'm sort of staring past the planet. I guess "1000 mile stare" is another description of this !

- Make a sketch of the above "suspects" - rough is fine but orientation is important.

- I then use Cartes de Ciel to check to see if there is a moon at or close to the place where I've seen the faint point source. Cartes du Ciel is easy to flip to replicate the image that the scope sees.

Checking the software source last is important I feel because I don't want to take the risk of seeing something that I expect to be there, if you see what I mean :smiley:

Hope that helps.