Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Datalord

Closeup of the Jellyfish head

I spent a bit of time around New Year on IC443 and got some narrowband action done.

ASA DDM85+RC12"+G3-16200. 

32*1200s Ha bin 1, 25*600s O3 and S2 bin2 for a total of 19 hours.

I started out with a classic SHO, but I dodn't really like the yellow image, so using the colourMask script in PI, I managed to tune it differently.

1893122479_master_Jelly@05x.thumb.jpg.35b8a78be408ae5632ffca342c7f05c0.jpg

Updated it to this final:

1900789065_Jellyfish@05x.thumb.jpg.9f28c22072f03443fc229bd5a287b141.jpg

Edited by Datalord
  • Like 18

Lovely structure.  The very faint blue areas at the "front" are a great contrast while still holding lots of detail as well.

• Like 1

Yes, I like that, lots of fine detail there.

Going to put this on my hit-list.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

Going to put this on my hit-list.

Well, with your slightly bigger FoV you might be able to get all of it in one frame. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I try to avoid overly sharpening my images, but somehow I felt compelled to do a bit more on this one. I did this in PS, so I didn't have the proper starmask I have in PI, but any thoughts? Should I be more aggressive with my sharpening?

master_Jelly-sharpened.thumb.jpg.4ca29582caf545896edf08d59566ecee.jpg

• Like 1

The first one for me still holds up better.  Zoomed in, full resolution, the second one has fallen apart on the blue edging - it's just pixels... but I think the first one may have some of that (it appears slightly lower resolution when zoomed in).  Other surrounding areas don't look as smooth and showing artefacts.

When viewed within the forum area - it's a close run thing and you can see the extra sharpening pop out though.

Note, I have minimal experience here, just 2p worth.  I'm a typical over-stretcher in the small amount of AP I've done 😂

I decided to go with my gut and did a bit more sharpening and a bit more contrast. Consulted Mrs. Datalord and she agreed this was better. Thanks for the comments.

197156939_Jellyfish@05x.thumb.jpg.5e980828c0b30f68d33c1b8f113b7ce2.jpg

• Like 3