Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon suggestions for astrophotography.

Ivar

What mount do you plan to use with your camera?

As I use mine for daylight as well as night I didn't get it modified as I didn't want to faff about with white balance. An articulated screen in handy but read up first on the more newer canons like the 700/750d as I think I'd read that some has caused issues with imaging related to the changes in the focusing.

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

What mount do you plan to use with your camera?

As I use mine for daylight as well as night I didn't get it modified as I didn't want to faff about with white balance. An articulated screen in handy but read up first on the more newer canons like the 700/750d as I think I'd read that some has caused issues with imaging related to the changes in the focusing.

Explorer 150pds + heq5 

I have a 400D (10 M pixel) that I bought brand new 12 years ago. I had the IR cut filter removed and it is really good. You can pick them up off eBay for a few quid/krone. 

Recently I bought a pre-used 650D (a later one manufactured about 2014/2015) with very low shutter count (2500) off eBay but am not removing the filter from that (yet) as I am using it for general photos/videos. It has a flip out screen and live view works great in APT/BackyardEOS. That one or a more recent replacement model might be a good one as it has 18M pixels 4.29 µm wide pixels in APS-C format.

I first had a modded 450D, but then switched to a 550D and the difference is really big. Both were cheap second-hand cameras. For lunar I have used the 80D I have, and the flip screen makes life far easier, especially if you do not have a laptop handy. The 550D might be quite an oldie, but it can get some really neat results

M42USM3expcropcurves2.thumb.jpg.f2dd34d703962276deaf7634e499e565.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I have a 400D (10 M pixel) that I bought brand new 12 years ago. I had the IR cut filter removed and it is really good. You can pick them up off eBay for a few quid/krone. 

I have a 400d which I bought in 2006.  I still use it everyday at work, but I wouldn't recommend it for AP, it is old, noisy, and doesn't have LiveView makes it hard to focus. 

as to modification for increased Ha DONT unless you will never use it tor anything other for AP with a reflector.

Actually if you want to get decent Astrophotography results, modification is important, if you don't get a modified DSLR you will lose a lot of data and colour will be a problem.  You can always do a custom white balance for day use. 

This is an image I did BEFORE modification with a Canon 450D from a dark location:

Before%20modding.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crr

This is the same target taken with the same camera at a LP location AFTER modification.  Both taken within a couple of months of each other. 

spacer.png

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

You can still use an Astro modified Canon DSLR for terrestrial photography (See Juan of Cheap Astrophotography's thoughts here). 

And in support of that, here are a couple of non-astro images I took with my Baader filter modified 700d last summer (apart from cropping and reducing them, the colour balance hasn't been altered) along with one of IC1396 taken with an Ha clip filter.  And to chip away at another myth, I haven't any sign of banding on my 700d in the five years and 33,000+ frames it has been in use:

603563154_IMG_6619sm.jpg.217953560af3ad8266fbe5b782d3eb3a.jpg IMG_6617sm.jpg.b49a786da4dcbe6fef83853ba2864667.jpg

296059918_IC1396inHasm.jpg.30b7dc9c6d6e788d6d6ae4d6ac64ed6d.jpg

Edited by almcl

Most of the Canons after and including the 450d are great and work with live view and usb tethering.  I used a 450d unmodified  and a modified 500d.    I personally wouldnt worry about a flip screen.   If you tether the camera you wont ever use it.

It not just a camera to think about. 

id suggest backyardEos for the image capture.

astro tortilla to plate solve and sync

phd2 for guiding and the TS eos oag (nice and thin to fit typical 56mm back focus) so you can guide thru the main scope with you dslr and not mess around with guide scopes.

Other folks no doubt will have other suggestions. But this lot works for me.

have fun

Edited by volcanotop