Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

GTom

Skywatcher 18" Dob 450p?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Thanks Gerry! It's been a handful. From Dec 17th until three days ago my wife and newborn daughter were in hospital twice with only a few days at home in between due to complications and a chest infection for the little one right out of the starting gate - that was touch and go for a bit. They are back and resting comfortably and our daughter is alert and I dare say happy most of the time. Hoping by next new moon I'll be able to at least get away once they are asleep to my dark sky site and return before sunrise (I honestly sound like some kind of vampire now 🤣). Just need the weather to hold. We've had four really clear nights here lately, high humidity, but lunar with the 8" has been my only option. Hope to file another DSO observing report soon! I'd like to turn my attention to more galaxies now after reading your last report. And play with binoviewers on the brighter DSOs of course!

Sorry for going off piste with the thread GTom! Go for the big scope second-hand! 

No problem at all :). Wish the family the best of health and good chances of observing. I am doing a little research at the moment on mirror making, but 20"ish is huge. Got many cloudy days here though, but still, likely a second hand scope would make the most sense. Fortunately more and more big ones are sold in Europe, Taurus, Explore Scientific, etc...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charles Kirk said:

Just to make the Aperture Fever a bit worse http://www.reginato.it/telescopes.htm 24inch heaviest part 26Kg.

Italian engineering flare.

I came across this website after asking around for large mirrors. Definitely agree on the Italian styling on the dob there! Did you see they sell up to 32" mirror blanks with the curve generated!! Price isn't too bad either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

my wife and newborn daughter

Congrats to you and your wife for the birth of your daughter!

You made an excellent choice for the big dob btw IMHO... and hope you can use it soon as things smooth out for you guys.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

I came across this website after asking around for large mirrors. Definitely agree on the Italian styling on the dob there! Did you see they sell up to 32" mirror blanks with the curve generated!! Price isn't too bad either. 

Interesting! I wonder how much work a pre-generated blank would save to justify a 4x higher price compared to a normal blank? Maybe could get away even without making a turntable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GTom said:

Interesting! I wonder how much work a pre-generated blank would save to justify a 4x higher price compared to a normal blank? Maybe could get away even without making a turntable...

The small mirror blanks are expensive, but as you go up they get much cheaper and I don't know anyone who lists prices for blanks that large.  The curve generation is sold as an option it appears.

Edited by Ships and Stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jetstream said:

Congrats to you and your wife for the birth of your daughter!

You made an excellent choice for the big dob btw IMHO... and hope you can use it soon as things smooth out for you guys.

Thanks Gerry! Extended forecast here isn't looking too bad, err, other than the 65 mph winds predicted tomorrow! Storm Brendan apparently. That's fine, I'm working inside!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

The small mirror blanks are expensive, but as you go up they get much cheaper and I don't know anyone who lists prices for blanks that large.  The curve generation is sold as an option it appears.

Found this German source, prices listed until 20" which costs €360, they do more on order.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GTom said:

Found this German source, prices listed until 20" which costs €360, they do more on order.

Cool! I'll have a look. I think I'm determined to try and figure a huge mirror someday, but will do a few smaller ones first to see if it's something I can get right. Thanks! Really good prices by the way.

 

Edited by Ships and Stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went with the mirror discussion to your mirror topic :)

 

 

Edited by GTom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.