Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion + Horsehead Mosaic

tooth_dr

Image 1 is resized to 1000px

Image 2 shows the six panels

Image is full size processed

I took this using a Nikon 180mm F2.8 lens at F4.0

A 1.25” 7nm H alpha filter was inserted into the adapter between the CCD camera and the lens.

The very large moon was close by so far from ideal!

3 minute subs - total exposure time for whole mosaic is 84 minutes.  Panels are between 9-18 minutes.

Looking forward to a good clear spell to get some decent integration time.

• Like 2

Wow--am I reading this right--the whole shebang is only 84 minutes?  That's incredible.  An amazing image of Orion--with many of its salient features--this is a wall hanging extraordinaire!

Rodd

Very nice indeed!

Can I ask where you put the filter? I have an ASI 1600 MM but using a filter wheel. I could use an Ha filter but trying to see if I can use LRGB on the filter wheel with a LP filter also. If I can install in an adapter for the CCD-->Camera Lens (I have one but not sure I can use a filter in it (It is a ZWO Canon EOS adapter). I also wonder if using 2 filters would cause problems also? Maybe easier just using the NB filter and keep mono.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Wow--am I reading this right--the whole shebang is only 84 minutes?  That's incredible.  An amazing image of Orion--with many of its salient features--this is a wall hanging extraordinaire!

Rodd

Thank-you Rodd!  Yes total 84 minutes.

The six panels had the following exposure, limited by cloud, had to chuck out 8 subs of the total 54 I took.  180s subs, using a Baader H-alpha filter.  QHY9 KAF-8300 mono CCD, on a Nikon 180mm F2.8 lens, stopped down to F4.0

1) 9 mins

2) 9 mins

3) 15 mins

4) 15 mins

5) 18 mins

6) 18 mins

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Very nice indeed!

Can I ask where you put the filter? I have an ASI 1600 MM but using a filter wheel. I could use an Ha filter but trying to see if I can use LRGB on the filter wheel with a LP filter also. If I can install in an adapter for the CCD-->Camera Lens (I have one but not sure I can use a filter in it (It is a ZWO Canon EOS adapter). I also wonder if using 2 filters would cause problems also? Maybe easier just using the NB filter and keep mono.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom, thanks!

Into the camera screws a male M42 - male M42 adapter than can hold a 1.25" filter cell.  I then use a female M42 - female M42 adapter to attach this to a M42 male to Nikon lens adapter.  Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Tom, thanks!

Into the camera screws a male M42 - male M42 adapter than can hold a 1.25" filter cell.  I then use a female M42 - female M42 adapter to attach this to a M42 male to Nikon lens adapter.  Hope that makes sense.

I think so! :D Will give it a go.

Brilliant.  It's really enjoyable seeing more context to Orion (the belt and HH + M42 etc) as well as some of Barnard's Loop on the left (I think?)

Not to mention the challenging conditions and low integration.  Nice one.

• Thanks 1