Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion with just a smartphone

Helen

I'm mentoring on the OU Orion futurelearn course and one exercise is to photograph Orion each week (ideally from same spot at same time)  to see how it's position changes.  I thought I'd lead by example!

I had a few challenges! Cloud and trees being most significant.  So a bit of imagination required. I ended up just taking a shot with my mobile phone from inside the back bedroom.  I wasn't holding out much hope, but.. the night sight mode on my pixel 2 proved rather impressive  😎 (no post processing at all!)

Chances of seeing Orion 4 weeks in a row????

IMG_20200106_221745.thumb.jpg.c18f07effe7bc9ecff2c8e0f7c526d4d.jpg

Helen

• Like 7

I have a Pixel 2 and find its pretty good also. I managed to install a different camera apk and now have the "astrophotography" mode. 

I had a go with it a few nights back, was aiming for Cassiopeia area but think I missed, I have an adaptor for a camera tripod which is needed for the astrophotography mode.

I plan on trying multiple exposures, taken using my star adventurer with the Pixel 2 and then try stacking them, see what I get. lol

IMG_20191230_182544.thumb.jpg.b4de75f90f53a9161a7528193c9d15ec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Smartphones are getting really good these days. This image was taken with my Huwawei P10 in Pro mode. 30sec at iso800. Orion taken with same settings. I have an annoying streetlight giving the orange glow but Council have shielded it. Sorry if I've high jacked the post, didn't mean too, just shared what my phone can do too, lol. Have fun. 

IMG_20190922_022454.jpg

PSX_20200107_225711.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added orion with smartphone.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...