Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good equatorial platform for Dobsonian?

GTom

I am thinking on astrophotography with a reinforced/DIY upgraded 16" travel Dob, 3-5minutes subs. Seen that the Tom O' dual axis platform does exactly that but got two problems with that:

#1, price: costs more than a GEM capable to carry a 16" Newtonian (CEM60). I know there are stronger, more expensive mounts out there - anyway, 2000$+ is beyond my budget.

#2, fixed latitude. The scope is a travel Dob which I intend to fly e.g. to Namibia - unfortunately I don't live South enough to be on its Northerly counterpart. Neither I want to pay TWICE the $2k+ price tag.

#3, polar alignment: no polar finder, better PoleMaster no deal. In 2020 the maximum time I want to waste with PA is 5 minutes. I have two trackers meant to be used with small telepoto/standard lemses: both came with polar finders.

Any recommendations? I am also open for DIY, however need a decent low-latitude design first.

Edited by GTom

Lots of EQ platforms from Telescope aexpress to give you an idea of what is available. From not too expensive to expensive such as the Geoptik.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c20_Mounts-----Equatorial.html

Not difficult to build yournown though. Just Google DIY EQ platforms.

Edited by johninderby

The Geoptik is still half the price compared to the Tom O platform, I'd count it affordable if it checks all the boxes. Problem will be with all their plaform the Latitide on the Canaries where I go quite often (28°N).

A horseshoe type could work, that needs DIY and good carbon fiber skills/parts to keep the weight low.

Edited by GTom