sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Question Regarding the mount type and motorization options

I just got an old kenko telescope cheap and I was thinking of going about modernizing it a bit. (okay its not very old)

Since the equatorial mount that came with the telescope said it supported attachment of a R.A. motor, I was thinking of putting one on but I couldn't find any information on what kind of equatorial mount this is, is it EQ1, EQ2 or EQ3?? (pictures below)3.thumb.jpg.e45f9681820b8e21f32eb9fcad06f741.jpg1.thumb.jpg.34bf2b4a495e2ef854872f50b26b95fd.jpg2.thumb.jpg.7cbd0aa32c12b6d8e1b6f8f5c9a2b2d7.jpg

If it is EQ1 or EQ2, I was thinking of maybe attaching one of the simple type EQ 1/2 RA motors. (the economical types) Though I understand I need to ad hoc an adaptor to keep in place.

Also, I've read those are adjustable in the rotation speed... just how adjustable are they?

Any help would be great, Thx

54 minutes ago, Rob said:

Humm.. this looks interesting

http://arnholm.org/astro/astro3/index.htm

Wow, that is indeed very similar (or the same). Thanks for the info.

does this mean I need to build the RA rig like his in the post? Looks like the cog is an unusual 139 teeth.. instead of the more common 144

I'm currently ok with just RA tracking... haven’t considered the whole auto guide thing..

Edited by Bemster
27 minutes ago, Bemster said:

Wow, that is indeed very similar (or the same). Thanks for the info.

does this mean I need to build the RA rig like his in the post? Looks like the cog is an unusual 139 teeth.. instead of the more common 144

I'm currently ok with just RA tracking... haven’t considered the whole auto guide thing..

Okay... I googled “Astro-3” mount, and from what I gather, it’s a EQ2.5ish mount... 

and I’ve found a comment on this form from 2013 

looks a bit different, but it seems like with good greasing, you can use one of those small compact single axis motors, maybe I’ll give it a try!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astrid
      My 200P just arrived and oh my God... I have been trying to wrap my head around the mount for 4 hours.
      The manual didn't really help so I decided to go on youtube, but again, I didn't find any good and detailed videos so I decided to ask here if there is any video or perhaps blog post that might help me set up the mount. 
      Thank you very much! 
      *by the way, is the EQ5 supposed to have slow motion cables? I only got 2 knobs (not cables) and I'm not sure if there is something missing or not... sorry, this is the first time I've used a serious equatorial mount or telescope. 
      Thank you very much!
    • By Sidecontrol
      Hey,
      I live in the NE of Scotland and have recently been bit by the Astrophotography bug!  I bought a Star tracker a few months back, but only started using it 3 weeks ago (due to crap weather).  The images posted are what I've managed to get with my Fujit XT2 and my various lenses.  Only just started stacking in DeepSkyStacker and trying to stretch / edit in Photoshop.  I've recently gotten the 45 day trial on Pixinsight so will be looking to try out editing in that.

Looking forward to learning a bunch from everyone!

• By Karen Moore
      The motors are not working and I don't know why. I have replaced the batteries and when turn on light is green but then turns red immediately. There is a constant bleeping sound. The cogs seem blocked... I am new to this so am hoping it is something easily fixed. Anyone know how? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks 
    • By bennethos
      Hi there, 
      Thought I would share my experience to get some feedback and advice. 
      Here I am in the south of france, beautiful dark site setting up my scope and mount. white eq6 pro without goto or remote and an esprit 100.
      I saw the Big dipper in the sky and setup my mount roughly pointing to the north,  set my correct longitude based on my location as welll. Then I struggled for 2 hours polar aligning it. Didnt have a clue what I was looking at through that polar scope… finally with some android software PolarFinder I could compare what I was looking at. 
      The big dipper drawing doesn't show up properly in my polar scope either,  unless I start unscrewing it,  at which point it becomes wobbly and hard to use… Forgot to bring tiny Alan keys with me. 
      2nd challenge I encountered was navigating the sky as a newbie ! no goto or remote… star hopping with my finder scope 9x50 was too much of a challenge for me as a newbie.
      Using the ra and dec rings on my eq6 didn't prove easy to navigate or understand either. extra challenge ? although I've read that they are pretty useless… 
      any advice on navigating the sky without goto or remote for a newbie ?
      any help and advice would be appreciated
      thx !

• By astrosathya
      Would the NEQ6 Pro be adequate enough to support a Meade 12" SCT and also a guidescope? If not a guidescope, would anyone recommend a good OAG for 5+ minutes exposures? If not the EQ6, which other mount? EQ8? Any other brand? G11?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.