Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31, surprised at 63min data.

alan potts

Still have not sorted the spacing exactly and still do not have anything to deal with gradients yet but I was rather shocked what 63 mins, 21x 3min subs pulled out on M31 with Moon at first quarter. I was far from a good night with frost playing and annoying part and my wife's hair dryer coming to the rescue more than once in this short time. The Borg used on this is I believe F 4.3 and as I see it collected a lot more data than my F7 did in more than twice the time. Anyway pull it to bits or offer advice.

This is a heavy crop of the Image from my 071, I guess this is about 40% of the full frame.

Still struggling with the focus on this scope, I do not like this helical focus system, I feel I may try and get the Feather Touch for it 

157928136_M31masked.thumb.jpg.054c733905102849de71868d6e3f8e36.jpg

Alan

• Like 20

12 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Very impressive for such a short integration time Alan.

Peter

Peter,

Time to put hands up and and admit I mad a mistake, it is 21x 4 minute subs not 3mins. Still impressed though as it was a collection of 4 minute subs I used on my 805mm at F 7, time on that one was just short of 3 hours.

Alan

42 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Nice one Alan.A lot of detail in this image.You know about the gradients,but it looks like the black point has been clipped.This will cause loss of data.

Still very nice.

Mick.

Indeed I did Mick, but as i didn't know how to repair the situation I didn't want to ruin what i thought was a fairly reasonable image. I feel I clip the black point most things I do. I need to study my processing better and not trust to my eye so much, they are not as good as they were 20 years ago.

Alan

• Like 1

Your focus seems pretty good--the stars are small.  The core of the satellite galaxy is clear and sharp.   Sometimes I struggle with focus unendingly it seems until I give in to the fact that seeing just won't let me get it  to where I would like it.  Then again I am just going by FWHM as reported by the software--teh stars look focused and the B-Mask is dead center.

9 hours ago, Rodd said:

Your focus seems pretty good--the stars are small.  The core of the satellite galaxy is clear and sharp.   Sometimes I struggle with focus unendingly it seems until I give in to the fact that seeing just won't let me get it  to where I would like it.  Then again I am just going by FWHM as reported by the software--teh stars look focused and the B-Mask is dead center.

I use these FWHM read outs too but with one difference, i don't know what I'm doing Rodd. I bought a mask for the 805mm APO but I just can't get the hang of it, don't have one for the Borg.

Alan