Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Rob

Lunar Eclipse (Penumbral not full Eclipse) - Jan 10th

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

All,

Just a reminder that we have a Lunar Eclipse on the 10th Jan. Details below. Fingers crossed on the weather!

Regards Rob

image.thumb.png.1569f6e5f722553652ddda2c07b2b50d.png

Edited by Rob
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up about this event :thumbright:

Simulating this in Stellarium makes it look rather unspectacular - penumbral eclipses cause more of a slight darkening of the surface than the "blood red" effect don't they ?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They do indeed John. We may get a slim pasty salmon as the light spectrum is effected, but definitely no like a full Lunar Eclipse!.  That said I see it as kicking off Astronomy for 2020 for me.

:)

Reference Info and video : https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2020-january-10

Edited by Rob
Added link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for the heads up about this event :thumbright:

Simulating this in Stellarium makes it look rather unspectacular - penumbral eclipses cause more of a slight darkening of the surface than the "blood red" effect don't they ?

 

Yes, that sound right John. Might actually be hard to notice without careful observation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be very hard to notice if the forecast over Yorkshire doesn't change....

Thanks for the heads up, I agree perfect way to kick start 2020 asto..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

...Thanks for the heads up, I agree perfect way to kick start 2020 asto..

Assuming that Betelgeuse does not go supernova before the 10th of course !

Even that would probably be clouded out with the weather that we have had lately :rolleyes2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I see it's not visible in Florida.

Bummer!!

Don't worry it probably won't be visible here either given the prevailing weather 😥

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bump reminder for this event tonight people!..

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if we may see a very slight 'dusting' of the edge of the moons limb at max eclipse ? (19:10hrs) It passes pretty close to the Umbral shadow at that time.

Maybe.....maybe not......? 🤔

I'll have the DSLR ready in any case ; you never know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather like penumbral eclipses,  though some people are a bit sniffy about them.  They are a good visual reminder of the dynamic nature of the solar system to me. I find the penumbral phase, quite easy to see, especially as it progresses.  Binocs certainly show the changing light on the full Moon as the shadow crosses the various features, especially if you're used to looking at un-eclipsed Moon at full.  It's easy to pick up using a DSLR or similar.  In the digital age it's easy to just adjust the exposure until it becomes visible.

Here in West Yorkshire it had just recently clouded over mostly, but I'm still fiarly optimistic about catching a view or two in the fours hours it's in eclipse.  After all, a bright Moon will often show through on occasion, even on the cloudiest of nights.  It's just a matter of being committed to keep a look out - if you don't, you may miss it when it does pop out.   After all, if you don't buy a ticket, you're not going to win the raffle 😃

Good luck everyone.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand corrected, thanks Paul. I wasnt going to bother, but skies are clear enough so I popped the trusty 72mm out on the Vixen GP and it is quite obvious with careful observation. Brighter at the top right when it is not in the penumbra, shaded in the bottom left towards the umbral area. That's in a left right reversed image of course. Caught this with the smartphone, have more so will see if any others are better.

Thanks for the original heads up, @Rob I think. 👍👍

Tee hee, just caught the auto correct which turned umbral into umbrellas !!

PSX_20200110_190516.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Perhaps better colour and correct orientation here.

PSX_20200110_193934.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed this. The shadow was noticeable even when just looking up at the moon naked eye. First lunar eclipse where I’ve had clear skies. Thanks for the heads up :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stu said:

I stand corrected, thanks Paul. I wasnt going to bother, but skies are clear enough so I popped the trusty 72mm out on the Vixen GP and it is quite obvious with careful observation. Brighter at the top right when it is not in the penumbra, shaded in the bottom left towards the umbral area. That's in a left right reversed image of course. Caught this with the smartphone, have more so will see if any others are better.

Thanks for the original heads up, @Rob I think. 👍👍

Tee hee, just caught the auto correct which turned umbral into umbrellas !!

PSX_20200110_190516.jpg

@Stu Nice image there. It was indeed subtle, however I had been blessed with decent skies also... rather enjoyed it too!

Best Rob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pics.  It was indeed 'subtle' to look at by eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

It was indeed 'subtle' to look at by eye. 

I agree, definitely subtle to see and anyone not knowing what they were looking for wouldn't see it, however, I was pleased to observe it and once pointed out, my wife also clearly saw the slight dimming.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pics from Stu.

Just one question. Whats a clear sky?

I ventured out several times to take a look. There was not one time that I could see the moon in a clear sky to be able to ascertain the dimming - let alone any darker regions.

The few times I saw a full disc, it was definitely not full moon brightness. But given the absence of stars I could not in all honesty claim the dimming was an eclipse.

I will though believe it happened! Thanks for posting the reports and I'm pleased that some saw it.

David.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Nice pics from Stu.

Just one question. Whats a clear sky?

I ventured out several times to take a look. There was not one time that I could see the moon in a clear sky to be able to ascertain the dimming - let alone any darker regions.

The few times I saw a full disc, it was definitely not full moon brightness. But given the absence of stars I could not in all honesty claim the dimming was an eclipse.

I will though believe it happened! Thanks for posting the reports and I'm pleased that some saw it.

David.

I know what you mean! Much of the time I had high thin cloud, although for some time at least it was clear but still hazy around the bright moon. Good enough to see it, though it possibly knocked back the bright, uneclipsed part at fullest eclipse making it a little less obvious. Still, I managed to see it so can't complain. I seem to have rediscovered my 72mm and am using it for the very purpose I bought it; quick sessions which need very little setup of pack down time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had sight of the moon naked eye from time to time through the evening. For most of the time I couldn't tell if anything different was happening due to thin cloud coming and going but I thought after a while that the bottom half and bottom right in particular looked slightly darker to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did manage to get myself out, in between feeding and bathing the kids.. and the clouds.. managed 5 single subs at 1/250 & iso100 with the 300mm f5.6 on crop sensor...  totally cloudy by just after 7 though, and not another glimps for the duration.. 

Still see some shadow, although the last has more cloud than shadow I think.. left to right in order and top to bottom.. 

PSX_20200111_144217.thumb.jpg.08f125f2c2b360d4f3d102674f1b7922.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stu said:

I stand corrected, thanks Paul. I wasnt going to bother, but skies are clear enough so I popped the trusty 72mm out on the Vixen GP and it is quite obvious with careful observation. Brighter at the top right when it is not in the penumbra, shaded in the bottom left towards the umbral area. That's in a left right reversed image of course. Caught this with the smartphone, have more so will see if any others are better.

Thanks for the original heads up, @Rob I think. 👍👍

Tee hee, just caught the auto correct which turned umbral into umbrellas !!

PSX_20200110_190516.jpg

Well done Stu.  I'm pleased you had  a good view, and pics!!  It's funny, after me saying how easy it was to see, on this occasion it really wasn't obvious at all, visually you could be forgiven for not noticing it if you didn't know it was happening.  Likewise my pics didn't show it to any extent.  Mind you, I saw what I saw and I only did minimalist processing to get the pictures as it actually looked.  Sky conditions played a part of course.  Still enjoyed it though, it was what it was and it was good fun.

Here's a link to my obs I put on Lunar Imaging:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Did manage to get myself out, in between feeding and bathing the kids.. and the clouds.. managed 5 single subs at 1/250 & iso100 with the 300mm f5.6 on crop sensor...  totally cloudy by just after 7 though, and not another glimps for the duration.. 

Still see some shadow, although the last has more cloud than shadow I think.. left to right in order and top to bottom.. 

PSX_20200111_144217.thumb.jpg.08f125f2c2b360d4f3d102674f1b7922.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

Well done Fozzie, sounds as if you we were interrupted by the same cloud as me.  Not surprising really as we are near-neighbours :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Well done Fozzie, sounds as if you we were interrupted by the same cloud as me.  Not surprising really as we are near-neighbours :)

Wasn't expecting to catch anythi g if with the forecast, so pleased with anything tbh.. seems like constant cloud in our neck of the woods for so long.. although I read you've managed quite a consecutive run.. nicely done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.