SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy through philately

oldannie

Since starting deep sky imaging I have been so preoccupied with getting my equipment to work and learning how to process I've never really got round to learning much about astronomy.  However after seeing that Katrina Raynor Evans is giving a talk this year on Astro Philately to my local Astronomy Society - Newtown, Powys I've started collecting space stamps!  On Katrina's recommendation I've bought a book ''Stamping Through Astronomy'  by Renato Ducati and can highly recommend it.  Brilliantly illustrated throughout and a great way of learning about the history of astronomy.

Hope I've posted this in the right place!

Annie

• Like 3

I used to collect stamps when I was kid as my uncle was an airline pilot and would send me mint stamps from places he flew too.

I gave it all away when I was sixteen but only regret one loss. A post card of Apollo 11 with Apollo stamp posted to my dad from Cape Canaveral on the day that the moon shot took off. I have an empty place in my heart for that loss now I love astronomy.

Marv

• Sad 1

I think the former USSR & Eastern Bloc countries were very prolific in producing astronomy and space related themes to their stamps. I have two mini-sheets, (images below)... 

1235651022_BGmini-sheet1.jpg.4d16b3d48c26a80590336aaf094f3b54.jpg<---1999      383351476_BGmini-sheet2.jpg.b64c4c4a0ba8c0c6ddae8e5e5c59d1de.jpg<---1986

...and also included in the following link...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

I think the former USSR & Eastern Bloc countries were very prolific in producing astronomy and space related themes to their stamps. I have two mini-sheets, (images below)... 

1235651022_BGmini-sheet1.jpg.4d16b3d48c26a80590336aaf094f3b54.jpg<---1999      383351476_BGmini-sheet2.jpg.b64c4c4a0ba8c0c6ddae8e5e5c59d1de.jpg<---1986

...and also included in the following link...

I had completely forgotten about that series of post! Thanks for the reminder!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at my first day covers a few minutes ago and came across this. I had forgotten I had it. Sad thing is, it's a recent addition. Oh how the mind goes as we age!

😂😂😂😂

Rob

IMG_20200203_102441.jpg

IMG_20200203_102456.jpg

IMG_20200203_102502.jpg

IMG_20200203_102511.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the thread, interesting the directions we head off in related subjects to our hobbies.

Stamps are not my thing, but I can see the interest in related matter, one of my Astronomy club shared his Astro cigarette card collection with the members recently and that was highly interesting too.

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2020 at 20:13, oldannie said:

Since starting deep sky imaging I have been so preoccupied with getting my equipment to work and learning how to process I've never really got round to learning much about astronomy.  However after seeing that Katrina Raynor Evans is giving a talk this year on Astro Philately to my local Astronomy Society - Newtown, Powys I've started collecting space stamps!  On Katrina's recommendation I've bought a book ''Stamping Through Astronomy'  by Renato Ducati and can highly recommend it.  Brilliantly illustrated throughout and a great way of learning about the history of astronomy.

Hope I've posted this in the right place!

Annie

Annie don't know if you caught sight of this, I only spotted it today .

Visions Of The Universe - Royal Mail

BBC Astronomy Stamps

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...