Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All sky Camera

Nigella Bryant

Do you have any issues with condensation. I found that condensation fogged out the view very quickly on most nights... I made a resistor based heater ring and placed that inside the dome which solved my condensation problem

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Do you have any issues with condensation. I found that condensation fogged out the view very quickly on most nights... I made a resistor based heater ring and placed that inside the dome which solved my condensation problem

I have a fan running and only just got it up and running so the answer is no Mars sure at the moment what will happen. Will let you know if I have issues.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 1

I made one of these and put it around the CS lens... powered by  a low power 12V power pack... this has solved my dew problem 100%, never had dew since installing this and the heat generated isn't so great that it causes any distortion or adverse side effects.

IMG_1619.JPG

Just now, MarsG76 said:

I made one of these and put it around the CS lens... powered by  a low power 12V power pack... this has solved my dew problem 100%, never had dew since installing this and the heat generated isn't so great that it causes any distortion or adverse side effects.

IMG_1619.JPG

Wired in parallel.

12 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

IMG_1619.JPG

Thanks Mars, I not proficient in wiring, would have to pick your brains, could that be made via USB cable connection too. Been looking at small USB heating pads as I've usb running from the box. 

15793883334449050709328799668353.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant

Hi Nigella

That's good news on the scratches, my lens is a lot closer to the dome and seems to work fine tho I can't vouch for whether it induces any distortion in night star views, day views seem fine but the module isn't able to do long exposure so night sky view is limited to brighter stars and stacking. Are you planning to flock the area under the dome, or if its night use only I guess that won't be a problem  regarding reflections.

On the misting, I assume the box wasn't sealed at the cable entry when you did the test?
If recently opened you'll have let warm air into the casing and that'll be carrying moisture, was the misting on the inside of the dome?

I'd put a load of silica gel packs in the case if you can just before you finally seal and that may be all you need, assuming the box will be sealed that is.  I'm guessing your camera maybe doesn't run as warm as the cctv module I'm using which seems fine without, so some form of dew heater may help if that's the case but not sure running it off USB will be feasible esp on a v long USB lead.

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

Hi Nigella

That's good news on the scratches, my lens is a lot closer to the dome and seems to work fine tho I can't vouch for whether it induces any distortion in night star views, day views seem fine but the module isn't able to do long exposure so night sky view is limited to brighter stars and stacking. Are you planning to flock the area under the dome, or if its night use only I guess that won't be a problem  regarding reflections.

On the misting, I assume the box wasn't sealed at the cable entry when you did the test?
If recently opened you'll have let warm air into the casing and that'll be carrying moisture, was the misting on the inside of the dome?

I'd put a load of silica gel packs in the case if you can just before you finally seal and that may be all you need, assuming the box will be sealed that is.  I'm guessing your camera maybe doesn't run as warm as the cctv module I'm using which seems fine without, so some form of dew heater may help if that's the case but not sure running it off USB will be feasible esp on a v long USB lead.

Hi Dave, no box isn't sealed at cable end yet, didn't give it a thought about flocking the underside of the dome but it's only for night time use anyway. Misting was on the outside only however. Not sure what would work to get rid of the dome fogging over on the outside except what's used for eyepieces and secondary mirrors. 

I'm using one of these which works very well:

https://www.dewcontrol.com/Dew_Heater_Module_All_Sky_Camera/p3099125_19045496.aspx

It does need a 12V supply but I think you would probably be better off with 12V in any case, the USB power might struggle to keep it clear. In case you are considering changing the dome at some point, a smaller dome would also help with keeping it dew free. Also make sure that the heat from the camera can rise into the dome (can't quite see from the picture).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

I'm using one of these which works very well:

https://www.dewcontrol.com/Dew_Heater_Module_All_Sky_Camera/p3099125_19045496.aspx

It does need a 12V supply but I think you would probably be better off with 12V in any case, the USB power might struggle to keep it clear. In case you are considering changing the dome at some point, a smaller dome would also help with keeping it dew free. Also make sure that the heat from the camera can rise into the dome (can't quite see from the picture).

Thanks for the info, looks like just what I need, I can run another cable 12v from the box if need be. Just ordered one, thanks. 

heater.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Added more comment and pic

6 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks for the info, looks like just what I need, I can run another cable 12v from the box if need be. Just ordered one, thanks. 

heater.jpg

i use one of those as well 

keeps it nice and toasty

paint it black though otherwise you get the reflection of the writing in the dome

Edited by CedricTheBrave
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks Mars, I not proficient in wiring, would have to pick your brains

Of course, Any time...

its worth noting that this "heat ring" cost me about $1.50 to make.

Edited by MarsG76
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Back to the build, life got in the way, but life slowing down with now self isolation and social distancing. Got back to fitting the heater ring in place and decided to change out the previous zwo120mm for the zwo asi 224mc I had. 

Life has a habit of doing that 🙂

Good to see the progress Nigella

• Thanks 1