Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Free Practical Astronomy Show - now March 2022

Don't think this has been mentioned before - apologies if it has...

Free 1-day Practical Astronomy show in Kettering? (21st March 2020)
https://practicalastroshow.com/

A couple of the online talks from 2019 were quite interesting: SharpCap's Dr. Robin Glover on optimising exposure times (https://youtu.be/3RH93UvP358) + Damian Peach on high res. planetary astrophotography:- (https://youtu.be/3RH93UvP358)

We're going to combine it with a trip to the National Space Centre in Leicester - should be a good weekend!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Myself and a couple of friends went last year and it was excellent. Far better than astro fest IMO. We didn't go to any talks, but spent the day oggling some beautiful kit. I really wanted to play jenga with Rother Valley 's Tak stack, but my mates talked me out of it. There were some great displays and getting to fiddle around with stuff I can't afford was great fun. We drove down from Lancashire, so no small trek, but it was well worth the effort. I also got to meet a few guys from SGL which made things even better. It was so enjoyable in fact, that were almost certain to make the journey a second time for the 2020 event.

Edited by mikeDnight

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thanks for the update Alan - I had a feeling it would be cancelled to later in the year. I note that the revised date is 26th September.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry and an odd question but I cannot locate the information:

What time does the PAS 2022 show start?

Cannot see anything in this thread and nothing on the PAS website. And I don't have a Facebook Account so cannot read whatever is on there.

Guess it is an oversight but the start time is useful. Gives me an idea when to get there and when to depart.

3 hours ago, PEMS said:

Sorry and an odd question but I cannot locate the information:

What time does the PAS 2022 show start?

Cannot see anything in this thread and nothing on the PAS website. And I don't have a Facebook Account so cannot read whatever is on there.

Guess it is an oversight but the start time is useful. Gives me an idea when to get there and when to depart.

The diary for talks says that Paul Money will be giving the first talk at 9:30 in the morning 

The last talk is Damian Peach's, which ends at 4:10 in the afternoon. 

https://practicalastroshow.com/speakers/

Hope this helps. 

Suggestion to the moderator team.

This thread has now moved on to discuss the 2022 show.
The title reference to September is going to confuse anyone who doesn't read the 'small print'.

Maybe change the title to make it relevant to 2022?

• Like 1

• Mark at Beaufort changed the title to Free Practical Astronomy Show - March 2022
  • Mark at Beaufort changed the title to Free Practical Astronomy Show - now March 2022

Thanks Gfamily, helps a bit and from attending the first, or only one so far. My recollection was a long slow moving queue of people requiring tickets to the talks. Since the queue took well over 30 minutes to get in and through I suppose that the actual show will open around 8:00, maybe 8:30 at the latest.

If it follows the previous then a 9:00 opening time would mean many will be stood outside and not able to request tickets to attend the first talk.

Unless I find anything further I will presume 8:00, that should be early enough and not too early. Well as long as it is not raining.

Thanks again. Although does raise why don't the organisers just put an opening time in with the show details?