Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Has anyone used the celestron lithium powertank (the small one, not the pro version) with a skywatcher HEQ5?

It looks like it should be perfect but that is coming from someone who is relatively clueless :)

From the skywatcher specs, it looks like the mount needs 2 amps of current, and the powertank supplies 3, so that should be good?

It also looks like the power cable is a double-ended tip-positive 2.1 mm plug, so i assume that even though it doesn't have one of those 12V car battery inputs, it shouldn't matter right?

(just to save people some time, i'm not going to bother with a lead battery / leisure battery / jump-start pack / etc)

Posted (edited)

It is only about 7Ah. So 12 volts at 2 amps, not really a viable life before it need recharging (3.5 hours). Not sure you are quite correct in your mounts needs. As you quote 2 amps, but surely that is only whilst slewing, the tracking I would assume is around 0.5 amps ? But for £150 it seems very expensive. 

Don't me wrong I have two LiFePo4 batteries and they are excellent. If you buy an underrated battery and are disappointed with its performance it will cost you more in the long run. I would go for a higher  rated amperage capacity if you can afford it.

Derek

Edited by Physopto

Hi thanks for the reply. yes, i would assume that the 2amps is needed for slewing only. I wouldn't say what i put is wrong.... just not the full story XD

I was more worried that the output of the battery wasn't high enough. I noticed that someone had posted on a different forum, stating that theirs kept cutting out, but it turned out that they had used this power pack with an AZ-EQ6, which needed 4 amps, and therefore the powerpack clearly wasn't adequate. 

online price is £115... which yes is super expensive... but lead batteries can die after 200 charges if you are unlucky.... and my last powertank died because I didn't charge it up after a few weeks. 

The larger version is an extra £100 though.... which is quite a lot of money 😕 

unless there are other brands?

• Like 1

Yes I can see what you are saying.

I had Lead Acid for several years until the shear weight and short lifetime put me off. Whatever LeadAcid batteries quote as  capacity can be halved in real use. On top of that they do not like being discharged and loose their charge holding capabilities very quickly.  

I paid a heck of a lot for my LiFePo4 40Ah batteries. But it was worth it in the end. 

I am always amazed by the amount people will spend on a scope or mount,  but then cut corners on the other just as important items needed. If you want to image on battery power, do not scimp on the other essentials. 

I take it that you want a battery for either safety or off site reasons. If not you can go down the power supply and RCD route. 

Whatever you decide best of luck. It is an expensive hobby and it sounds as though you are only at the start, it gets more expensive as the more you are hooked. 😀

Derek

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, willcastle said:

The larger version is an extra £100 though.... which is quite a lot of money 😕 

unless there are other brands?

I have the larger version running an EQ6 R Pro and two dew straps. I can easily get 4 hours without the battery indicator lights showing any usage (all three still lit indicating a full battery).  I suspect it would run all night, and more, with no dip in performance. Yes it’s expensive but I have found it (so far) to be outstanding. I have also used two of the SW lead batteries which do not compare to the Celestron lithium

3 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I have the larger version running an EQ6 R Pro and two dew straps. I can easily get 4 hours without the battery indicator lights showing any usage (all three still lit indicating a full battery).  I suspect it would run all night, and more, with no dip in performance. Yes it’s expensive but I have found it (so far) to be outstanding. I have also used two of the SW lead batteries which do not compare to the Celestron lithium

certainly sounds like a good recommendation to me but I guess i will see. My rig so far has cost me a lot and I have run out of money :') 

I was planning on getting a smaller one and then upgrading in the future. 

Seeing as you actually have one, have you tried plugging your EQ6-R in via the supplied celestron cable? the one that has the double ended 2.1mm ends? It plugs into the 12V 5A power port (not the car battery adaptor port)? I assume that will work fine for my HEQ5? the cheaper lithium battery doesn't have the car battery adaptor port built in.

Posted (edited)

You can’t use the Celestron cable for the EQ6, it’s a different socket into the mount. I just use the mounts supplied cable into the power tank cigarette socket. In order to use more devices ( the dew band controller which also has a cigarette connection) I use a a multi socket connection from Halfords (£15), all works well. I’m not sure what mount socket the HEQ5 has

Edited by Jiggy 67

9 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

You can’t use the Celestron cable for the EQ6, it’s a different socket into the mount. I just use the mounts supplied cable into the power tank cigarette socket. In order to use more devices ( the dew band controller which also has a cigarette connection) I use a a multi socket connection from Halfords (£15), all works well. I’m not sure what mount socket the HEQ5 has

That is super annoying then because it likely means that I can't use the smaller version of the power tank at all. It looked from the pictures like they are the same type of sockets 😕 

did you have a link to the multisocket adaptor from halfords? would be interested to see it 

Tried a link but doesn’t appear to work 😡

just search Halfords multi cigarette socket and look for the 12v one, they are actually only a tenner 

• Like 1

Why do you think you can’t use the smaller version?...looking at it on FLO it has the 12V cigarette socket which is all you need 

42 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Why do you think you can’t use the smaller version?...looking at it on FLO it has the 12V cigarette socket which is all you need 

The smaller one has the 12v output for the celestron power lead. It doesn’t have the cigarette socket 😕 

Sorry, I hate to disagree but it does. On the picture you can see it covered by an orange vertical piece of plastic....same as mine on the larger version 

Posted (edited)

I use a Halfords 4-1 jump starter on my scope, 17ah cost £50.

image.png

Edited by Mick H

45 minutes ago, Mick H said:

I use a Halfords 4-1 jump starter on my scope, 17ah cost £50.

image.png

How long have you had it? And how long does it take to charge? My last lead battery went kaput 

43 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

My mistake, you are right, just looked again ☺️

Misleading isn’t it? 😕 I thought the same thing at first 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willcastle said:

How long have you had it? And how long does it take to charge? My last lead battery went kaput 

I have had it a year, took about 18hrs initial charge.

I use it two to four hours and then just charge overnight.

I painted the white light strip red, it has two cigarette sockets. 

25 minutes ago, Mick H said:

I have had it a year, took about 18hrs initial charge.

I use it two to four hours and then just charge overnight.

I painted the white light strip red, it has two cigarette sockets. 

Cool thanks for reply. I may just get one of these for now. At least to get me up and running. I mean, £50 is so cheap for a 17Ah battery. Do you know what the current is for the 12v sockets? I know the HEQ5 needs a minimum of 2amps? But then I’m guessing it isn’t an issue if you had it that long 

I don't for 12v sockets, but it runs my NexStar 8se with red light on and charging my iPad via usb socket.

Also using 12v hairdryer for dew on telrad.

14 minutes ago, Mick H said:

I don't for 12v sockets, but it runs my NexStar 8se with red light on and charging my iPad via usb socket.

Also using 12v hairdryer for dew on telrad.

Well..... I wasn’t going to get a jumpstart pack but for 50 quid I can’t complain. You sold me on it 😂

There is a Halfords five minutes down the road so I got one just now

470CACBD-28E7-44BB-B538-0FEC5B8CD3E5.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, willcastle said:

Well..... I wasn’t going to get a jumpstart pack but for 50 quid I can’t complain. You sold me on it 😂

There is a Halfords five minutes down the road so I got one just now

470CACBD-28E7-44BB-B538-0FEC5B8CD3E5.jpeg

Wow fast mover!!! A lesson in decision making!!

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 2

Well done Will, let us know how you get on with it.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Wow fast mover!!! A lesson in decision making!!

I have my new beautiful mount waiting for me at home, where I will be tomorrow morning. I can’t wait 😆 so I wanted to get a power pack ASAP 

14 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Well done Will, let us know how you get on with it.

Will do! I am going to be much more active on this forum again. I used to practically live on here 😂 have you captured any pics on your nexstar? Or are you just observing?