SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter & Saturn -Next December....date for diary!

Star101

I was reading this months (Jan 2020) Astronomy Now magazine, page 42. Mentions Jupiter and Saturn being just 6 arc mins apart.  Very low in the sky for me though.

I did some work of CdC and was really surprised at how close these two planets will appear.  Pluto is not too far away either!

Anyway, posted here for reference :)

image.png.f9533461100542da911b3411cf415cbf.png

image.png.0b12a625ca20b73b7ecff1e90a7d8861.png

Its cloudy here... ;)

• Like 5

That's some conjunction! Just unfortunate circumstances. Very low in the sunset :(

It'll still be worth dragging a scope up to the sea front if it's clear.

How seasonal would it have been had the conjunction been higher up and in the east :) Such a conjunction is among the contenders for the origins of the "Christmas Star". 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Paul M said:

That's some conjunction! Just unfortunate circumstances. Very low in the sunset :(

It'll still be worth dragging a scope up to the sea front if it's clear.

How seasonal would it have been had the conjunction been higher up and in the east :) Such a conjunction is among the contenders for the origins of the "Christmas Star". 

I remember a close conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn around Christmas 1980 in Leo but the closest approach was in mid January 1981.It was no way near a close as this next one however.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...