Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 mount power

I apologise for repeating threads. I have searched and read some older ones, but there's a lot of dead links in the replies. I have no idea about electrics, it's just not my thing, so I was hoping someone could explain like I'm 5 how best to power my new (second hand) HEQ5 safely.

The power lead it came with is the cigarette lighter plug type, and the seller supplied an adapter for that with crocodile clips to connect to a leisure battery. For the moment however, I just want to power it at home. Would mains power be best or should I just buy a battery? What other power accessories do I need? I tend to glaze over when confronted with volts, watts and amps 😅

Cheers.

You can use the cigarette lighter plug but it needs to be plugged into a 12V supply.   I use one like this for most of my 12V stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAMPA-Mains-to-12V-Adaptor-201301/263823146999?epid=723389911&hash=item3d6d15bff7:g:glIAAOSwMb1bT1Dl

Or you can buy a Dedicated cable that plugs into the mount instead of the one supplied which has a regulated power supply, again must have mains to 12V adater in it.  I use one of those for my HEQ5 and bought it off an Astro Retailer. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you want to power the mount only?
Dew heating? Camera? Tablet?

The reason for the question is that a standard Celestron/Skywatcher type of powertank will be quite adequate for a mount.
That will look after connections, charging, etc without knowledge of electricity.

Here is an example.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

Assumming you are starting out and not wanting to power lots of additional items, it is difficult to justify the additional cost of a larger battery, or a lithium pack, etc.

Yes you can buy cheaper from fleabay and the like. But ........

If you want to run the (power hungry) extra devices then a bigger powertank or leisure battery needs more thought.

Whatever you do. DO NOT rely on crocodile clips on a battery. Use proper clamp terminals.

Keep asking the questions.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Do you want to power the mount only?
Dew heating? Camera? Tablet?

The reason for the question is that a standard Celestron/Skywatcher type of powertank will be quite adequate for a mount.
That will look after connections, charging, etc without knowledge of electricity.

Here is an example.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

Assumming you are starting out and not wanting to power lots of additional items, it is difficult to justify the additional cost of a larger battery, or a lithium pack, etc.

Yes you can buy cheaper from fleabay and the like. But ........

If you want to run the (power hungry) extra devices then a bigger powertank or leisure battery needs more thought.

Whatever you do. DO NOT rely on crocodile clips on a battery. Use proper clamp terminals.

Keep asking the questions.

HTH, David.

That's just what I was after. I am just starting out so only have the mount to power and just want to get at it, so thank you :)

I can only disagree with the above. I owned two so called Powertanks for use with my HEQ5 and both were next to useless lasting about 30 minutes. A regulated mains supply is the only way to go unless you don’t have access to mains. I used a 5amp regulated 12V mains supply unit. It had a cigar lighter option for taking the standard mount cable. That should cover mount and accessory use such as dew heater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1