Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloudy?

Dixie

Same here.

Sometimes its cleared around 2am onwards,but too late for me.

Yes sunny to-day,but saying cloudy to-night,and of course the Moon is getting brighter.

Its been a dead loss.

Edited by astro mick

This has been one of (if not *the*) wettest. cloudiest Autumn / Winters on record. Just plain miserable for us astronomers, but I feel for those poor souls "up north" who have been flooded out for weeks / months.

Fair geographical spread of replies so it's been a misery everywhere. Got a Dutch friend and she says it's been hopeless there too. By the time this improves there'll be no dark sky left. 

Just to provide a little counter-message, I did finally get a clear-ish night last evening down here in SW Ireland, until clouds came in around 2100. Was grateful even though the Moon was up. Got to restore a bit of sanity after fitting 2 new focusers to my 300p and Mak 180 over the past 7 days.

M

Edited by Captain Magenta

Well I was wild camping last night, just east of Kielder, partially bike touring on the Reivers route. The evening was patchy cloud, so the moon was very bright of course, the Pleiades situated overhead from the tent. Main constellation stars punching through brightly even when some cloud cover later encroached. Inevitable there was some forecast light rain during the night, today, cycling along Kielder and beyond, misty, gloomy, drizzly, I like to think atmospheric, ok for cycling hopeless for astronomy. 

9 minutes ago, Dixie said:

Fair geographical spread of replies so it's been a misery everywhere. Got a Dutch friend and she says it's been hopeless there too. By the time this improves there'll be no dark sky left. 

Hi Richard, I notice that there is one of the dark sky information points situated near to the river and close to the small old chapel; Catcleugh church, I think its called (approach to Byrness off A68). Would you know if this space gets much use?

Iain - pretty quiet I think. Especially this time of year.  The north east has had a bit better of it than Yorkshire as far as I can tell, but the long range forecast is not good for the north and west..  Oddly my last two clear spells coincided with a lovely time at Kielder and again in Galloway. Apart from that bleak.... 

• Like 1

Although the clouds have been absolutely lousy of late, I count my lucky stars I'm in the UK rather than Australia at the moment...

That said, I've started getting 'cabin fever' not being able to get outside.

On the plus side though, the cloudy nights have meant more time to practice processing images...