Narrowband

Heart Nebula IC 1805

EyeGuy

Last week was a milestone - finally managed to get plate solving in APT going properly (thanks to AstroQuest1 on YouTube), so I decided to celebrate by taking a properly framed picture of the Heart Nebula.

It's just 2 hours with a OSC camera, so it's pretty noisy, and also pretty undersampled, but I love how plate solving helps so much to achieve an attractive framing. This is from the middle of town, bortal 6, with a triad filter.

Barry

IC_1805_Heart_Nebula_integration_all_frames_DBE_PMCC_curves_col cal_curves.jpg

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, EyeGuy said:

Last week was a milestone - finally managed to get plate solving in APT going properly (thanks to AstroQuest1 on YouTube), so I decided to celebrate by taking a properly framed picture of the Heart Nebula.

It's just 2 hours with a OSC camera, so it's pretty noisy, and also pretty undersampled, but I love how plate solving helps so much to achieve an attractive framing. This is from the middle of town, bortal 6, with a triad filter.

Nice image and good structure and colour tones in and around the nebula.  

What camera and filter did you use?

Agreed on plate solving being a game changer. PointCraft in Apt is brilliant. 

Edited by geeklee

That's really nice Barry ! Platesolving is pukka 😁

The purpley stars (I believe) can be whitened with Photoshop - noise - reduce noise - move colour slider all the way across .

Then they are fairly white but still false (no colour)

Just a matter of taste really.

But well done on a nice Heart.

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Nice image ,blue stars the down side of a LPS i get the same with idas D2

Thanks - yeah the blue stars a bit annoying, but on the upside, it makes star sizes much less obtrusive. I ran it through photometric colour calibration in PI, but obviously it can't restore data that just isn't there.

Barry

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

Nice image and good structure and colour tones in and around the nebula.  

What camera and filter did you use?

Agreed on plate solving being a game changer. PointCraft in Apt is brilliant. 

It was a Moravian G3 16200C OSC with an OPT Triad filter. The camera isn't a good match for that scope / FL and is fairly undersampled. When I bought it the extra complexity of NB filters seemed utterly daunting, but I feel like I'm ready to take the plunge now with a mono camera, especially if I get my observatory built this year as planned. 🙂

Barry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knobby said:

That's really nice Barry ! Platesolving is pukka 😁

The purpley stars (I believe) can be whitened with Photoshop - noise - reduce noise - move colour slider all the way across .

Then they are fairly white but still false (no colour)

Just a matter of taste really.

But well done on a nice Heart.

Thanks for that. Yes, APT's pointcraft is just superb. 10 pixel accuracy after automatic meridian flip is a thing of beauty. I think it would be flogging a dead horse on this particular image to bother changing the star colours, but I'm definitely going to come back to the Heart with the big TEC 180FL, and give it some proper treatment. I forgot to tighten down the focus lock properly when I started and half way through the run (which had crap transparency) the FWHM took a big jump. I included the frames anyway - I was just so happy plate solving was working. Oh well, you live and learn.

Barry