Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please be on the look out - Stolen Telescope

Sadly over the Christmas break Pulsar Observatories suffered a break in at their workshop in Norfolk. Some tools and other items were stolen but most importantly, Steve Collingwood's very special, hand made (by his own hands) 3" f/16 BCF brass refractor has been stolen. This was the last scope made at BC&F after nearly 300 years so it's a big loss.

Many of you may already know Steve, he has been part of the amateur astronomy community for a long time now and is definitely one of the goods guys so please keep an eye out in case this scope pops up for sale somewhere. Any sightings please let me know and I will pass it on.

Below are some pictures:

82099912_10220981705749091_2144967007617941504_o.jpg.6f9c0c12aa6734280c28a2d543408fe8.jpg81031566_10220981793271279_4179412283232878592_o.thumb.jpg.710ca64c0e4cd7bdfb8d68699b2ee3ef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 19

Gutted to hear of this, I know more than most how this feels having had a large number of telescopes stolen some years ago.  Happy as others to keep an eye out but several of mine were unique and none ever appeared for sale.    ☹️

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That's very sad news. Hopefully because of the distinctiveness of the telescope, it should be instantly recognisable should it pop up anywhere.

I would suggest asking local scrap merchants to see if anything comes there way.  It is unlikely to be able to be sold and my suspicion is that it may have been picked up for the metal value by ad hoc thieves (and completely ignoring the value of the telescope itself). 

Yes a very distinctive scope. Theft of any sort makes me angry.

Given the appearance, might the thieves offer it to the antiques community?
It looks worth more to this market than a just couple of pouds of scrap brass.
No insult to the excellent scope is intended. Just trying to think how the villains might approach disposal.

I'm pleased to be able to say this is just an idea and I have no experience in disposing of stolen items.🤨

I assume there is crime number and local police contact just in case anyone hears anything?

Good luck with the recovery. David.

Awful news, happened to me about 15 months ago.  I did get some stuff back, some on ebay and quite a bit was in a Cash Converters about 30 miles away, keep looking and I really hope you get lucky and recover the scope.

• Like 1

Steve must be really down losing such a gem of an instrument. Especially so having spent a long 
time creating this lovely telescope.

It's horrifying knowing some low life,  who  will have no semblance of a conscience, could crawl so low 
to steal something he/she ? can't possibly use due to the item's uniqueness. It could be spotted from space.
I sincerely hope enough people are informed about this awful act, and the perpetrator is soon brought to justice.
For my part, justice would be a short rope over a long drop. I despise thieves with a passion.
Lowest of the low.

Sincere condolences, and I hope and pray you get your work of Art back Steve.
Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The dew shield/primary cell mounting looks different to me, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

James

Thought I'd post just in case James, be a mistake of me if I didn't, extra advertising for the person if it's different, lol.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys and gals get your stuff marked with one of these things, there dirt cheap and the markings last a very long time (depending on usage)  mark everything you possibly can, when police are handed in suspected stolen property they check it and something may well turn up months or years down the line, its also a lot harder for a thief or receiver to explain away. https://www.google.com/search?q=UV+Security+pen&oq=UV+Security+pen&aqs=chrome..69i57.5935j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 18/05/2020 at 18:18, chewie said:

Guys and gals get your stuff marked with one of these things, there dirt cheap and the markings last a very long time (depending on usage)  mark everything you possibly can, when police are handed in suspected stolen property they check it and something may well turn up months or years down the line, its also a lot harder for a thief or receiver to explain away. https://www.google.com/search?q=UV+Security+pen&oq=UV+Security+pen&aqs=chrome..69i57.5935j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, have all my gear uv marked with my postcode and surname.

• 3 months later...