SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro-project 3D-printed

Chriske

Busy working on a big astro (printing) project. It'll be 3.2 meter high, (yep 10'+)
Should be finished Sept 2020.
So that gives me plenty of time to test these 'little' guys... (But first I have to build a printer that goes with it.

Left is a 1.5mm(I have already one in use and works absolutely perfect) nr5 is 2.5mm and far right as comparison is standard 0.4mm nozzle.)

image.jpeg.fc4abd516d4a68cdab4b14b0a90898c0.jpeg

• Like 2

OMG back to the "pink string" 🤣  I use to make more conventional printers with "pink string" a.k.a. braided fishing line cord with 100lb breaking strain.  Drove me up the wall - kept coming off the drums!  Also, slightly more stretch than GT2 timing belt.  Wore out quite quickly too where it went over pulleys.  Have to say I have looked at the Hang Printer and the cord is quite amazing considering it's only about half a millimetre diameter.

Edit :- Think it's had a bit of an upgrade since I last looked at it.

Edited by Gina

18 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you have the space, then you could consider a Hang Printer (https://hangprinter.org/) ……   

Seen it, but I don' believe in that project.
There are to many issues with it.
Most important thing for me is that the perimeters are absolutely perfect. I know many people will react something like :  Nice perimeters with a 2.5mm...? yeah right..!
To me a nice perimeter is one with no issues, ripple, moiré, ghosting, etc... And that is what most printers suffer from, one or more of these. I design my own printers and make them very stiff. Even my smallest printer I have difficulty lifting it up. I dare to say I do print perfect perimeters.
Well, the perimeters printed with my bigger nozzles, yes indeed I can clearly see the layers, but these layers are all consistent, very regular, in fact very nice. There are no issues with the perimeters I print at all. If there were, I throw that part away, change whatever there is to change in the slicer settings to correct and start all over...
Needles to say I wont be printing small and detailed parts with it...😁
Don't think a hang-printer is capable of delivering these regular perimeters.

I find it very hard to believe a Hang Printer could produce a satisfactory print.  I've had problems with string or belts a metre long let alone several metres!!  A fascinating idea but hardly practical IMV.

It's a bit strange that someone wants to design such a printer. It must have been a time consuming design/built. Do not misunderstand me, it is quit an achievement and I take my hat of for it. Well done..!
But as I said higher up, I'd rather spend more time in searching to make my prints better looking. That alone is very time consuming, especially with these big nozzles.

Yes, it's certainly complicated.  It also has some serious deficiencies, apart from being very inaccurate.  Still dependent on bed size for X and Y dimensions and a large heated bed is expensive.  Also, I think the X and Y dimensions get smaller as the height increases.  It is most suitable for narrow, tall prints that are smaller at the top.