SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Betelgeuse dimmer

A few weeks ago; I read an article that said the reason Betelgeuse was getting dimer, was because of a dust cloud.
I was thinking the same... whilst the world was caught up in the hype of it going supernova.

Damn dust gets everywhere!  

• 3 months later...

It's back!

Caught it just now, and although it's now clearly brighter than Bellatrix and Alnath, it still seems to be fainter than Aldebaran though not by a huge amount. It's not as bright as I was expecting. I'd still go with the last estimate of 1.2 I posted back at the end of March. Will keep an eye on it as it gets higher in the sky...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

There is an article on the current status of Betelegeuse on page 20 of the September Circular of the BAA Variable Star Section., which has just been released

Trying not to swear. Obviously not allowed to on here. Your link opened and first few pages Ian Miller!

Never knew or met the man, but I get the feeling that he was a man I would have liked to have met.

Compared to his work I am a guy blindly looking around with a spy glass.

Recently I stumbled across (probably prodded by an SGL member or more likely a friend from across the pond on CN) a link to Mantrapskies. 

Same sadness, the website said he has passed on. Please research both as there legacy lives on in their research.

I have not had a chance yet to look at Mr Millers data, but a lifetimes effort will surely be beyond my expectations.

Marvin

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

From the BAA variable star section.

Although the new observations are relatively sparse and there is some inconsistency, a picture has begun to emerge which suggests that as soon as Betelgeuse had recovered from the deep fade to V ∼0.2 the star began to fade again, and at a very similar rate to the deep fade. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...