Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

This last dimming cycle is quite unusual as the star is at record low brightness, and this dimming is significant enough to be seen by the naked eye. The latest data has the magnitude of the star at 1.5, which is 0.2 magnitudes dimmer than the previous known record of 1.3 magnitudes in 1927 and 1941.

Thanks for that, I was bang on then ūüĎć

Where did you get the info from, out of interest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks for that, I was bang on then ūüĎć

Where did you get the info from, out of interest.

Hi Stu, Severe Weather Europe post as of January 2020. You were bang on Stu, make a variable star observer of you yet, lol. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Haha 1

Definitely not an expert in this field but I got a great look between storms this evening. Big hole in the sky from horizon to horizon but this will last one hour before the weather front rolls in.

Orion, the entire sky, constellation Orion, Taurus, and the surrounding constellations. Betelgeuse is sooooo dim. By naked eye, I would say one magnitude less than Rigel. Has this been the case at anytime in the viewable past?

Please bear in mind I am just one of you, so my idea of magnitude maybe less than scientific. On the other hand if a PHD wants a fist fight I am more than willing to apologise.

Marvin

5 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Definitely not an expert in this field but I got a great look between storms this evening. Big hole in the sky from horizon to horizon but this will last one hour before the weather front rolls in.

Orion, the entire sky, constellation Orion, Taurus, and the surrounding constellations. Betelgeuse is sooooo dim. By naked eye, I would say one magnitude less than Rigel. Has this been the case at anytime in the viewable past?

Please bear in mind I am just one of you, so my idea of magnitude maybe less than scientific. On the other hand if a PHD wants a fist fight I am more than willing to apologise.

Marvin

As I previously said, this last dimming cycle is quite unusual as the star is at record low brightness, and this dimming is significant enough to be seen by the naked eye. The latest data has the magnitude of the star at 1.5, which is 0.2 magnitudes dimmer than the previous known record of 1.3 magnitudes in 1927 and 1941.

Rigel is 0.18 and about 100+ light years more distant than Betelgeuse, which is at 1.5 at the moment and much dimmer than Rigel. 

• Like 2

Before reading this, my estimate was 1.5. So I think that's probably about right given others have the same.

• Like 1

I had a good look earlier; it seems to have dimmed even more compared to 2-3 weeks ago. If brighter than Bellatrix only by 0.1 mag or so, much fainter than Pollux, not noticeably brighter than Elnath or Castor. It looks more 2nd than 1st magnitude. I'd guess 1.6- it's unfortunate that Adhara (epsilon CMaj), which is about 1.5, doesn't rise more than a few degrees as it would be a good comparison.

Edited by Walshie79
  • Like 1

Also it is definitely closer to Castor than Pollux in terms of brightness

Edited by Walshie79
  • Like 1

Might be the conditions, but I'm seeing it a tenth brighter tonight.

You can compare the brightness to others nearby. Standard variable star observing technique. Here's a comparison chart from CdC

Orion.thumb.png.a6ea108847354d0b7dc86a41c58ad6c2.png

I make it just a mite brighter than halfway between 1.2 and 1.6. So, around 1.4, maybe even a fraction brighter.