Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

Hello everybody on this community, very happy I recently joined stargazers lounge.com

Last November I was able to modify my EQ5 mount via shoestring astronomy GPUSB (ST4 mount-USB laptop, my guiding camera is connected to the laptop by USB and PHD2 as guiding software) so I can autoguide it for long periods 6 minutes and more, I was really happy that this project was achieved and now I can get more details out of deep sky objects.

My question is how can I go GOTO with this set up, trying to find objects to image is really time demanding without GOTO, and my goal is to take advantage of time to get those photons.

I installed already ASCOM but I didn't connect with the USB connection (I think only work with serials cable)

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments

56 minutes ago, Alex the great said:

Hello everybody on this community, very happy I recently joined stargazers lounge.com

Last November I was able to modify my EQ5 mount via shoestring astronomy GPUSB (ST4 mount-USB laptop, my guiding camera is connected to the laptop by USB and PHD2 as guiding software) so I can autoguide it for long periods 6 minutes and more, I was really happy that this project was achieved and now I can get more details out of deep sky objects.

My question is how can I go GOTO with this set up, trying to find objects to image is really time demanding without GOTO, and my goal is to take advantage of time to get those photons.

I installed already ASCOM but I didn't connect with the USB connection (I think only work with serials cable)

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments

Hello and welcome to SGL. Unfortunately the GPUSB cannot be used for goto purposes. It only provides an opto-isolated connection between the computer and the mount for guiding only.

• Like 1

You can't Goto with that setup. 

You would need to buy a goto upgrade. 

This includes encoders that measure the position of the mount in RA and Dec, so that it knows how long to slew each time it moves to a new location. 

Michael 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

You can't Goto with that setup. 

You would need to buy a goto upgrade. 

This includes encoders that measure the position of the mount in RA and Dec, so that it knows how long to slew each time it moves to a new location. 

Michael 

Thanks michael8554

do you have some link where I can go and have more info

You can achieve goto on an EQ5 mount with the AstroEQ modification.  Ideally this uses stepper motors and can then slew quite quickly using one of the planetarium programs (Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel &c).

The web site is https://www.astroeq.co.uk

If you're handy with a soldering iron, building your own is quite a good option and belt driving improves the guiding quite noticeably 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I would like to use my QHY5L-II with my OAG. However, it seems like even at 2x Binning its not able to see stars. I've used Dark library, but no use even then
      Any help will be appreciated.
    • By Pitiss
      I have recently bought a Orion Starshoot Autoguider. I downloaded phd 2, eqmod and ascom stuff. After a small research I found out my mount (exos 2 gt) doesn't support computer acces without firmware upgrade and fancy cables but I have the st4 port so it shouldn't be a problem. In phd I choose camera as Starshoot Autoguider and mount On-Camera. Aux mount and AO are both none. My wiring is one cable to pc from camera and another to st4 port from camera. When I started looping I selected the star with no problem. I choosed the one star alignment option from my hand controller and after centering the Archturus in the middle of view I pressed ok and it was successfull. I started guiding and after a while I get the error: RA calibration failed star didn't move enough.
    • By astrosathya
      I connect my mount to PHD2 using ASCOM and most nights I have the error "Star did not move enough" as well as "Suspicious blah blah, axis may not be perpendicular". This does not happen when I connect the mount via ST4 cable. I read somewhere that I can do a Calibration Sanity Check in PHD2. I am however unable to find that function in the software. Is it some pop up feature or does it have a location in the settings/brain icon?
      Any help will be highly appreciated.
    • By Icesheet
      I have recently purchased an Orion Mini guide scope and I'm keen to start autoguiding using my Altair GPCAM2 224. However, I have a MacBook and it's not playing ball. I've managed to get BETA versions of Atair Cam and PHD2 drivers on my Mac but the frame rate on Altair capture is horrendous and PHD2 doesn't recognise the camera. Therefore I'm resigned to having to shell out on a windows based laptop. I'm looking to the second hand market at the moment but all I want is the minimum specs I need to capture. I will use the Mac to process images.
      Altair states minimum requirements are :
      Windows PC Hardware Requirements: Minimum CPU: Equal to Intel Core2 2.8GHz or Higher Minimum Memory: 2GB or More USB port: USB2.0 High-speed Port  
      It doesn't say if this is IntelCore2 single, duo or quad. I'm presuming single here. Even still is that the minimum for just capturing data? What are others using. I'm really reluctant to start shelling out another £100+ on a used laptop just for autoguiding.
      Chris

• By dan_19991
      My current setup for astrophotography is an eq5 pro mount with a 200p telescope, using a canon 1000d camera, I’ve been looking at what I could upgrade to improve my astrophotos and my top priority is getting a light pollution filter and it in the middle of a city. But next I’m torn, between getting an autoguiding system and getting a new mount (heq5 or neq6 if I could find one used) I recognise I will need both eventually it’s just about which to get first. I’m that respect if I were to get the auto guider first, I would probably have to find a different way of mounting it because of the weight limit, I found a old thread that referenced mounting the autoguiding system to the counterweight bar which would not increase the weight, I see a few problems with this but for the sake of saving the weight I figure it’s a good idea. 
      Im not sure what autoguiding kit I would get but I’ve seen that the st80 is highly regarded and probably a Astro ccd around the £150 mark. 
      Any advice on which to get first for my setup would be appriciated and what mount and autoguiding system that is advisable. 
      Thanks in advance.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.