SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kielder Spring 09 New Dates

Tinkerbell

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone happen to know where the nearest Wifi is to Kielder? I'm not sure I can go 2/3/4 days without access to t'internet and SGL...

James

Lo James

Hexham would be the nearest I think :)

Questions usually asked ( not in any particular order)

1 Is there a Mcdonalds/ pizza hut/kfc/bk nearby.

2 Where's the local curry house.

3 Why can't I get any phone reception.

4 Where's the cashpoint.

5 Is the petrol station open.

6 Is the pub open all day.

7 Do you get much rain here.

Answers

1 Hexham

2 Bellingham

3 Your in the middle of a forest

4 Post office in Village

5 No its been closed for 2 years, nearest is Newcastleton, Bellingham or Hawick.

6 No, 12 till 3 then 6 till your poured out.

7 Either stony faced silence or rolling round on the floor belly laughing.

I should also like to put right a wrong, some people keep asking "why is it always raining at Kielder". ;) It is NOT and I cannot stress this highly enough, it is NOT always raining at Kielder.

What You are experiencing is NOT rain it is a meteorological phenomenon called precipitation or to the layman it is LOW cloud NOT rain. If and when it does rain at Kielder it is a blessed relief and sorely needed to replenish the reservoir. :mad:

Ask anyone in the Anglers if they think it is wet and they will assure you it is all in the mind and that it is Your turn to get them in so get yourself to the bar as there are plenty of very dry parched throats in need of rehydration :(

Ps. Don't forget your wellies and waterproofs in case it rains :)

I should also like to put right a wrong, some people keep asking "why is it always raining at Kielder". :) It is NOT and I cannot stress this highly enough, it is NOT always raining at Kielder....

Fantastic - every question answered! Thanks Kev.

I spent most of the first 23 years of my life in Scotland so am very well aware of what is and isn't rain :mad: Moving to the south west of England was my attempt at getting back to a kind of wet climate I'm used to :)

James

Does anyone happen to know where the nearest Wi-Fi is to Kielder? I'm not sure I can go 2/3/4 days without access to t'internet and SGL...

James

Heh :mad:

I made that mistake last year and took a 3 mobile adapter. EVEN THOUGH I knew there was NO mobile reception. I thought "Well, there must be some somewhere . . . . " Even at the top of that blumming hill theres nowt!

And very informative Moon Plodger!:)

Oooh..........does the new manager of the arms know the amounts of ale, us astronomers need to quench our dry thrapples?? It's hard work putting up tents and discussing weather.

Andy.

Regarding Kev's no.6 answer.

The closing for three hours is actually a bit of a godsend. Otherwise I would be sozzled for 3 days solid and have no chance of attempting to use the scope. The beers too blumming good.

Andy.

Oooh..........does the new manager of the arms know the amounts of ale, us astronomers need to quench our dry thrapples?? It's hard work putting up tents and discussing weather.

Andy.

Lo Andy

I'm sure I heard the expression " Them drunken bums are back" in reference to our arrival on site by one of the locals, so I would imagine he has been well warned.

By way of an introduction to our "modus operandi" we ordered 6 pints when we arrived and introduced ourselves to mien host on Saturday and he asked when the other four were arriving, we said we didn't think there were any others coming and if they did they could get there own gargle as they weren't getting any of ours :) :)

Ps. Apparently he is praying for rain as well :mad: the little tinker

Hi, I am new to SGL, just bought a Skywatcher 130p. I do not live too far away from Kielder was wondering if I could pop over to the event. Not sure if I could stay the whole time but would love to take part. Love to hear from you, Delilahtwinkle.

Why not everyone is welcome, if You are going to arrive after dark and it's clear it woiuld be great if You could park on the approach road and turn your lights off as soon as possible, but if You are hoping to get a pitch there are only a few left so get in quick :)

So, you`ll only need the boots, and not the waders then? :)

Hope its clear and dry.... the skies are great (I had never visually seen Cygnus lit up like a xmas tree, nor seen NGC7000 in binos... until Kielder!). Have you found the big switch to turn Newcastle off overnight?

:):D:D

Allison's just got herself a pair of quality wellies. I'll make do with my German Para boots.

Dry? So only ankle deep them............excellent......that'll do me. :)

Can't wait

for the skies, beer, company in no particular order :D

Cheers,

Andy.

I can't wait for this - my first Kielder :)

How noticeable is Newcastle from Kielder? (bearing in mind I'm used to fairly dark skies?)

While I'm in question asking mode... can anyone tell me how big the leccy pitches are? I'm torn between taking my big tent or my much smaller two man job.

James

When I went late last year, Newcastle was a glow to the south, made much much worse by the fact that it was nearly 100% cloud cover, doubly made worse by the fact that the campsite itself was so incredibly dark that even a slight glow anywhere looked like a nuclear strike had just happened. When the sky is clear, I would imagine its a lot less of an issue.

How big is the big tent? I have a big tent and it seemed to fair pretty well. Bring wellies. you will probably need them. It was torrential rain all night + day last year when I went. I mean the ducks were wuite happy swimming around my tent. Cant wait :)

Mine is one of these.

I can't make my mind up really - if I bring the large tent I can't fit as much kit in the car, I'll need someone to help put it up (although I suspect beer will assist with that :) ) but I'll have more space to store kit out of the rain and won't need to get into the car etc.

The little tent can be put up in two minutes, I get to drink the beer myself but I have to use the car as storage...

Decisions... the real issue though is whether I plan to image or go visual... :)

James

post-13295-133877361434_thumb.jpg

Lo James

Knowing Kielder like what I does :) a big tent would be beneficial in that the sun does get a bit overpowering and heavy at times and it would be handy to have somewhere to shelter from its effects and it is also somewhere to keep your wellies cool when the sun is coming down like stair rods :)

Also if it should happen to rain :) (Never happen) it would be a good place to keep loads of beer dry :D

When You get there and start putting Your tent up just flutter your eyelashes and say in a pitiful voice "Oh woe is Me" a few times and then the clincher "All this beer and nowhere to store it". You will be fighting them off with a big stick and the tent will be up in minutes, jobsagoodun :)

Just back from Grantown on Spey, after a dry, sunny, clear skies few days with some of the Guys from the Central Scotland Observers Group - many of whom are also SGL members (Blinky, Dogfish, etc etc).

We were in a wee village 3miles from Grantown. Two clear, sunny days with clear nights - 11hrs of observing and Dogfish got his first autoguided images - very nice too.

I assume that the weather will be equally dry / Sunny next weekend at Kielder? If I can talk nicely to the Wife I may manage down for the Saturday, with a 12" Flextube and a 5" 'fract.

Cheers guys

Tom

I'll hopefully be there by Thursday evening (depends on how much work the boss gives me... :)).

When You get there and start putting Your tent up just flutter your eyelashes and say in a pitiful voice "Oh woe is Me" a few times and then the clincher "All this beer and nowhere to store it". You will be fighting them off with a big stick and the tent will be up in minutes, jobsagoodun

I think I'll start with the beer offer first, it'll be quicker :)

James

Archived