Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Level tripod

I have seen some videos (astro backyard etc.) when they assemble the gear for the night they don't level the tripod at all, they just carry it out on the ground and start directly with the scope balancing. 

Is it really necessary to level the tripod if you have somewhat flat backyard? 

You only NEED to level a GoTo Altazimuth Mount. There is a tiny advantage to levelling an EQ Mount in that polar alignment adjustment doesn’T suffer from interaction between RA and Dec twiddling but it isn’t actually necessary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

You only NEED to level a GoTo Altazimuth Mount. There is a tiny advantage to levelling an EQ Mount in that polar alignment adjustment doesn’T suffer from interaction between RA and Dec twiddling but it isn’t actually necessary.

Okey so I can just skip that step? It's an annoying step to do all the time when I want to AP.

Remove scope, remove mount head, level tripod, screw on head, put on scope... So many steps 😅

Hi could you not mark the ground were the legs go and then level once then when your done just fold legs to take in door but leave them the length you set to level ,as long as it goes in the same spot it should be level

Edited by Neil H