SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New member, dumb questions

Hi,

I was wondering if some one could answer a couple of questions for me. My son (8 yr old) is obsessed with astronomy, palaeontology and archaeology, I don’t know were he gets it from as none of theses are areas of interest to me. I am looking at getting him a telescope for Xmas and had more or less decided on the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130PM, mainly due to some write-ups I have read and the price. He obviously wants to take photos and I believe that this model may not be the strongest to support a 35mm camera, would it be possible to attach a webcam.

Also, are there any other things you could recommend such as software, books, websites, remembering he is only eight.

Thanks[/]

Hello Chuck and welcome to SGL.

You have picked a great scope that should llast your son a long time.

Any camera as far as I'm aware with the appropiate adapter can be used with this scope but I would say a better choice would be a webcam.

If it's just planets and moon you want to image the webcam can be a basic non modified one.

If it's deep space objects you want to view it needs to be modified to image these in good detail.

With a webcam all you need is a nosepiece to fit the focuser, this is a tube to take the place of the eyepiece and a lead to attach it to a laptop.

Hope this helps you.

The very first thing to explain to children of that age is that one look at the sun through a telescope will cause instant, permanent and irreversible blindness. There are special filters for solar observation, they look like kitchen foil but are not and they fit over the front part of the telescope, the part where light enters, NOT over the eyepiece, where you put your eye to see the image.

I have a 10yr old boy and 8yr old twin girls and I think it's a bit too early to get them into imaging, beyond showing them what is involved.

Here's what you do with a webcam without spending any money: You remove the lens (unscrewing usually works) from the webcam so that you can see the flat, squarish sensor deep inside the device. You use a bit of sticky tape to attach the barrel of an old 35mm film canister to the body of the webcam, with the sensor perpendicular to the barrel axis. You want that to be strong so that you can hold the webcam up by the film canister without wobbles. You then put the film canister into the eyepiece holder, they are the same diameter as standard eyepieces. You then monitor the image on the laptop and adjust the focus on the telescope until the image of the moon is clear. It's always best to start with the moon, I find, it's a big bright target. You'll find it impossible (almost) to focus on anything nearby so don't waste too much time on that, just wait for the moon. If you let us know which webcam you have, we might be able to give more precise instructions.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your quick and detailed responses. Got to agree with the advice about not looking at the sun, you have no idea how many times I have to tell him not to look up with his naked eye - boys never seem to listen.

Its not so much a case of getting him into imaging, mainly because I know nothing about it, its more to do with having somehing to look back on, so the webcam is probabbly the way I will go. I haven't got either the scope or the webcam as yet (late shopper) so I'm willing to take advice. I think we will start with the moon and then move on to the plannets and see where it goes from there.

Hopefully this will be something we can learn together and gives us an excuse to be out side, which is where we both like to be.

Thanks again

Hopefully this will be something we can learn together and gives us an excuse to be out side, which is where we both like to be.

What a lovely sentiment! What a lucky boy to have a dad like you.

The 130 is an excellent scope. The motorised mount will help you keep items in view (once you've found them!) You and your son will have many great nights with theis scope which can cope exceptionally well with both planets and DSOs. I'd suggest a moon filter to cut down on the glare and possibly a couple more EPs as well. Also, get yourself a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' - the beginners bible for astronomy. Should be compulsory with all new scopes. If your local library is good, you can possibly borrow a copy and stock up on some reading matter as well.

Any questions, just post here - the dumbest question is the one that's never asked. We all started out and are more than happ yo help.

Hope to see the two of you posting on here in future. Please let us know how you get on.

I have just ordered the above scope but the shop is trying to send me a Celestron Astromaster 130 Eq MD Motorised as a better scope for the same price (though its £35 cheaper on Amazon). Your views would be appreciated.

I have just ordered the above scope but the shop is trying to send me a Celestron Astromaster 130 Eq MD Motorised as a better scope for the same price (though its £35 cheaper on Amazon). Your views would be appreciated.

I would hold out for the Skywatcher 130PM - I've seen a Celestron Astromaster 130 and, while it is the same general specification, there are a number of things about it that bother me:

- The secondary mirror mount vanes look rather thick (the Skywatchers are .5mm thick) which will affect image quality.

- The red dot finder on the Celestron is an inferior design to that of the Skywatcher - at least one member here has reported some problems with the Celestron design.

- The mount the Celestron scope is on looks more "flashy" but less functional than the Skywatcher's mount.

Thats my opinion at least - others may differ.

John

Thanks John,

There was something bothering me about the offer, though I can't say why, I'll get back to them. I think it may be because thay have sold out of the Skywatcher, though they didn't inform me until they had taken my money, so back to the drawing board.

Thanks again

Damien

Next installment,

I had this reply from the shop.

the Astromaster I can throw in a Planet Plosll Pack Worth £100. the Astromaster is a Better Scope. Made by the Same Firm (factory) Parabolic Mirror. I really dont know how to apologise enough. Sometime it happens at Xmas.

The only one I can find with similar specs is the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQMD Telescope with Motor Drive

I have had a look at the scope and it seems to be a lot cheaper and the write-ups don't mention a parabolic mirror. I'm stilll thinking 'get my money back', what do you all think

Hi Chuck, I think you should get your money back as there's plenty of other retailers who will glady take your money without stuffing you around as much - and give you what you order. Good luck, I hope it works out in time for Christmas!!

Thanks for all your advice. I have been sent a Skywatcher Explorer 150 p EQ32 (is that right?), will need to get a motor later. The only trouble is my back yard resembles Jodrell Bank :shock: I didn't realise it was that big. Hope the little fella likes what Father Xmas has got him.

Looking forward to posting his first pictures and asking loads of dumb questions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

• 2 years later...

hi there, i have just bought a skywatcher 150pl telescope on an eq3-2 equatorial mount and i am trying to get my head round ra and dec settings. i dont think the dec circle is allighned properly could someone please tell me if the 0 on the dec circle should be allighned to the dead centre of the mount. it is out by about 5 degrees, any help would be greatly appreciated

craig

Archived